- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Deakin, Victoria, 2007 and 2010. Defeated at general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 7.2.12 to 5.8.13.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Employment and Workplace Relations from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Industry, Science and Innovation from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Education and Training from 17.6.09 to 19.7.10; Education and Employment from 25.10.10 to 8.5.13; Infrastructure and Communications from 25.10.10 to 8.5.13; Petitions from 25.10.10 to 8.5.13; Privileges and Members' Interests from 25.10.10 to 8.5.13; Social Policy and Legal Affairs from 7.2.12 to 14.8.12.
- Joint Standing: National Broadband Network from 22.3.11 to 8.5.13; Treaties from 6.2.13 to 8.5.13.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Singapore, January 2010.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Cambodia, September 2011.
- Party positions
- Delegate, ALP State Conference from 1998.
- Member, ALP Public Office Selection Committee from 2003.
- Member, ALP Industrial Affairs Policy Committee from 2003; Secretary 2005-06.
- President, ALP Ringwood Branch 2005; Secretary from 2006.
- Born 21.2.1965, Box Hill, Vic.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Diploma of Occupational Health and Safety (CFMEU Training Unit, Melbourne).
- Licensed electrician (Box Hill TAFE).
- Union official.
- Campaign officer.
Description: outer metropolitan.
Location: eastern Melbourne; it includes the suburbs of Bayswater North, Blackburn, Blackburn North, Blackburn South, Burwood East, Croydon, Croydon South, Forest Hill, Heathmont, Mitcham, Nunawading, Ringwood, Ringwood East, Ringwood North and Vermont.
Area: 61 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 87 744 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: light manufacturing, commercial and retail industries.
State electorates: Deakin includes parts of the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorates of Bayswater, Forest Hill, Kilsyth, Mitcham and Warrandyte.