- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Dobell, New South Wales, 2007 and 2010 (Australian Labor Party to 29.4.12; Independent from 29.4.12). Defeated at general elections 2013.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Economics from 19.2.08 (Chair from 13.3.08 to 23.8.11) to 5.8.13; Petitions from 19.2.08 to 19.7.10; Privileges and Members' Interests from 19.2.08 to 19.7.10; Regional Australia from 25.10.10 to 9.5.12.
- Joint Standing: Parliamentary Library from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Born 31.7.1964, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BComm (UNSW), LLB (UTS).
- Industrial Officer and Assistant Secretary, Health Services Union (NSW).
- National Secretary, Health Services Union 2002-07.
Location: central coast of New South Wales; it includes the centres of Bateau Bay, Berkeley Vale, Blue Haven, Matcham, Mount Elliot, Ourimbah, The Entrance, Warnervale, Wyoming, Wyong, the Yarramalong Valley, and parts of Erina Heights, Gorokan, Holgate, Lisarow, Kulnura, Narara, Niagara Park and Wamberal.
Area: 775 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 93 661 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: fruit, vegetables, manufacturing industries, prawning, fishing, tourism and mixed farming.
State electorates: Dobell includes parts of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorates of Lake Macquarie, Terrigal, The Entrance and Wyong.