- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Petrie, Queensland, 2007 and 2010. Defeated at general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 20.10.10 to 13.2.13.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency from 4.2.13 to 25.3.13.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Climate Change, Industry and Innovation from 25.3.13 to 1.7.13.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Climate Change, Innovation and Industry from 1.7.13 to 18.9.13.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Climate Change, Water, Environment and the Arts from 19.2.08 to 16.3.09; Education and Training from 19.2.08 to 19.7.10; Education and Employment from 25.10.10 to 13.2.13; Privileges and Members' Interests from 14.3.12 to 5.2.13.
- Joint Statutory: Public Accounts and Audit from 25.10.10 to 6.2.13.
- Joint Standing: Migration from 18.2.08 to 21.3.11; National Broadband Network from 22.3.11 to 14.3.12.
- Joint Select: Parliamentary Budget Office from 23.11.10 to 23.3.11.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to USA, September-October 2011.
- Party positions
- Member, ALP from 1996.
- Delegate, ALP State Conference (Qld) 1996-2011.
- Delegate, ALP National Conference 2003-11.
- Member, ALP National Executive 2004-07.
- Born 26.7.1970, Penrith, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- GradDip in Legal Practice (ANU), LLB (QUT).
- Various clerical and hospitality positions 1985-92.
- Associate, Queensland Industrial Relations Commission 1992-94.
- Senior Industrial Advocate, Australian Workers' Union 1994-2007.
Description: outer metropolitan.
Location: outer northern Brisbane; it includes the Brisbane suburbs of Bald Hills, Bracken Ridge, Carseldine and Fitzgibbon, and parts of Aspley and Bridgeman Downs. The suburbs on the Redcliffe Peninsula include Clontarf, Deception Bay, Griffin, Kippa-Ring, Mango Hill, Margate, Newport, North Lakes, Redcliffe, Rothwell, Scarborough and Woody Point, and parts of Burpengary.
Area: 152 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 86 683 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: light industrial and commercial activities.
State electorates: Petrie includes parts of the Queensland Legislative Assembly electorates of Aspley, Murrumba, Redcliffe and Sandgate.