- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Scullin, Victoria, at by-election 8.2.1986, vice the Hon. Dr HA Jenkins (resigned).
- Re-elected 1987, 1990, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010. Retired prior to general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Deputy Chair of Committees from 8.5.90 to 8.2.93.
- Deputy Speaker from 4.5.93 to 29.1.96.
- Second Deputy Speaker from 30.4.96 to 17.10.07.
- Speaker of the House of Representatives from 12.2.08 to 24.11.11.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Publications from 8.10.87 (Chair from 20.10.87) to 19.2.90; Environment, Recreation and the Arts from 8.10.87 to 31.8.98; Environment and Heritage from 8.12.98 to 17.10.07; Finance and Public Administration from 8.10.87 to 19.2.90; Aboriginal Affairs from 26.10.89 to 19.2.90; Community Affairs from 16.5.90 (Chair from 17.5.90) to 8.2.93; Industry, Science and Technology from 16.10.90 to 8.2.93 and from 29.5.96 to 31.8.98; Selection from 12.5.93 (Chair from 12.5.93) to 29.1.96; Members' Interests from 29.5.96 to 17.10.07; Family and Community Affairs from 17.11.97 to 31.8.98; Science and Innovation from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07; House from 12.2.08 (Chair from 12.2.08) to 24.11.11; Climate Change, Environment and the Arts from 7.2.11 to 5.8.13; Privileges and Members' Interests from 7.2.11 to 14.3.12.
- Joint Statutory: Public Works from 20.3.02 to 17.10.07; Broadcasting of Parliamentary Proceedings from 12.2.08 to 24.11.11; Human Rights from 14.3.12 to 5.8.13; Public Accounts and Audit from 14.5.13 to 5.8.13; Intelligence and Security from 17.6.13 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Standing: National Capital and External Territories from 27.5.93 to 29.1.96; Treaties from 7.2.12 to 5.8.13; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 7.2.12 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Select: Retailing Sector from 9.2.99 to 30.8.99.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Canada and USA, May-June 1992.
- Leader, Parliamentary Delegation to India, Nepal and Bangladesh, November-December 1993.
- Leader, Parliamentary Delegation to AIPO, Singapore and bilateral visit to Thailand, September 1995.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to the 6th Annual Meeting of the Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum, Seoul, January 1998.
- Leader, Bilateral visit to Republic of Korea and Malaysia, July 1998.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to the European Institutions, Strasbourg, Belgium and Luxembourg, June 2000.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Indonesia, March 2003.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Indonesia and Papua New Guinea, December 2003.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to the Philippines (ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Organisation General Assembly) and Indonesia (Bilateral visit), September 2006.
- CPA Study Group on the Environment, Belize, February-March 2007.
- Deputy Leader, Parliamentary Delegation to Cambodia and 116th Assembly of the IPU, Nusa Dua, Indonesia, April-May 2007.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to India to attend the 53rd CPA Conference and the Philippines, September-October 2007.
- Official Representative, Inauguration of the President of the Republic of Korea, February 2008.
- Leader, Parliamentary Delegation to the 118th IPU Assembly, South Africa and bilateral visit to Jordon, April 2008.
- Leader, Parliamentary Delegation to Singapore and Indonesia, October-November 2008.
- Leader, Parliamentary Delegation to Vietnam and Laos, January 2009.
- Leader, Parliamentary Delegation to the 120th IPU Assembly, Ethiopia, and bilateral visit to Switzerland, April 2009; 122nd IPU Assembly, Thailand and Hong Kong, and bilateral visit to China, March-April 2010.
- Official visits to UK and Switzerland, July 2009; USA, October-November 2009; Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Turkey, December 2009; Singapore and Indonesia, January 2010; Switzerland, July 2010; UK, France, the Netherlands and Mongolia, January 2011; Argentina, Brazil and Panama, April 2011; Japan and Republic of Korea, May 2011; Singapore and Indonesia, July 2011; Switzerland, October 2011; Argentina, Brazil and Panama, April 2012.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Malaysia and Sri Lanka, December 2011.
- Party positions
- President, ALP Bundoora Branch 1980, 1986.
- Delegate, ALP State Conference (Vic) 1979-81, 1982-83 and from 1997.
- Member, ALP State Environment and Conservation Policy (Vic) 1980-82.
- Member, ALP State Local Government Policy Committee (Vic) 1982-86.
- Member, ALP State Municipal Executive (Vic) 1985-87.
- Born 18.8.1952, Melbourne, Vic.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BSc (ANU).
- Public servant.
- Local government service
- Councillor, Whittlesea Shire Council from 1979-86; President 1984-85.
Description: outer metropolitan.
Location: outer north Melbourne; it includes the suburbs of Lalor, Mill Park, Thomastown and Watsonia North, and parts of Bundoora, Diamond Creek, Epping, Greensborough, Plenty, South Morang and Yarrambat.
Area: 101 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 90 822 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: manufacturing, including automotive components, clothing and textiles, metal products, light industrial, food processing, packaging and distribution, health and education.
State electorates: Scullin includes the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorate of Mill Park, and parts of Bundoora, Thomastown and Yan Yean.