- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Wide Bay, Queensland, 1990, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections, 2016.
- Parliamentary positions
- Deputy Chair of Committees from 12.9.91 to 21.2.94.
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 21.2.94 to 31.1.95 and from 1.5.96 to 20.10.97.
- Ministerial appointments
- Minister for Customs and Consumer Affairs from 9.10.97 to 21.10.98.
- Minister for Community Services from 21.10.98 to 20.7.99.
- Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry from 20.7.99 to 6.7.05.
- Minister for Transport and Regional Services from 6.7.05 to 29.9.06.
- Minister for Trade from 29.9.06 to 3.12.07.
- Deputy Prime Minister from 18.9.13 to 18.2.16.
- Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development from 18.9.13 to 18.2.16.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Library from 16.5.90 to 8.2.93; Procedure from 16.5.90 to 8.2.93 and from 29.5.96 to 30.10.97; Environment, Recreation and the Arts from 16.5.90 (Chair from 30.5.96) to 22.10.97; Long Term Strategies from 26.5.93 to 29.1.96.
- Joint Statutory: National Crime Authority from 18.6.96 to 23.10.97.
- Joint Standing: Treaties from 17.6.96 to 23.10.97; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 3.2.10 to 22.2.10.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 13.12.94 to 11.3.96 and from 6.12.07 to 18.9.13. Shadow Minister for Consumer Affairs from 13.12.94 to 11.3.96; Shadow Minister for Infrastructure and Transport and Local Government from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Minister for Trade, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government from 22.9.08 to 25.3.10; Shadow Minister for Trade, Transport and Local Government from 25.3.10 to 14.9.10; Shadow Minister for Infrastructure and Transport from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13.
- Deputy Leader of the House from 5.10.97 to 21.10.98.
- Federal Parliamentary Deputy Leader, The Nationals from 6.7.05 to 3.12.07.
- Federal Parliamentary Leader, The Nationals from 3.12.07 to 12.2.16.
- Party positions
- Member, NPA Central Council (Qld) 1981-2008.
- President, NPA Kumbia Branch 1974-87.
- Vice-President, NPA Barambah State Electorate Council 1978-88.
- President, NPA Wide Bay Divisional Council 1984-90.
- Born 8.10.1948 at Kingaroy, Qld.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- President, Australian Council of Rural Youth 1973-74.
- Member, Queensland Graingrowers' Association State Council 1979-90.
- Chair, Sugar Coast Burnett Regional Tourism Board 1985-89.
- Deputy Chair, Bulk Grains Queensland 1985-90.
Location: southern eastern Queensland coast and hinterland; it includes the centres of Gympie, Maryborough, Murgon and Noosa Heads. It also includes Fraser Island.
Area: 14 573 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 95 172 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: tourism, timber, dairying, grain, grazing, sugar, tropical fruit orchards and railway rolling stock.
State electorates: Wide Bay includes the Queensland Legislative Assembly electorate of Gympie, and parts of Callide, Hervey Bay, Maryborough, Nicklin and Noosa.