- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Barker, South Australia, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010. Retired prior to general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 6.2.07 to 9.3.10.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Primary Industries and Regional Services from 8.12.98 to 8.10.01; Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry from 20.3.02 to 17.10.07; Environment and Heritage from 29.3.01 to 8.10.01; Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 20.3.02 to 17.10.07; Transport and Regional Services from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Economics, Finance and Public Administration from 9.2.06 to 17.10.07; Members' Interests from 9.2.06 to 17.10.07; Family, Community, Housing and Youth from 30.11.09 to 10.2.10; Selection from 30.9.10 to 5.8.13; Privileges and Members' Interests from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Statutory: Native Title and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land Fund from 8.12.98 to 31.8.04.
- Joint Standing: National Capital and External Territories from 1.12.04 (Deputy Chair from 18.2.08) to 9.3.10 and from 25.10.10 to 20.8.12; Public Works from 10.5.11 to 5.8.13.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Indonesia and the Republic of Korea, July 2001.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Nigeria and South Africa, October-November 2002.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegations to New Zealand, May 2004 and July 2007.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to UK and Singapore, May 2006.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Asia Pacific Parliamentary Forum, Auckland, January 2008.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to South Africa, Jordan and United Arab Emirates, April 2008.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Canada, June 2008.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to New Zealand, August 2009.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to USA, September-October 2009.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Thailand, Hong Kong and China, March-April 2010.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Switzerland and France, October 2010.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Brazil and Panama, April 2011.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Switzerland, Germany and Austria, October 2011.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Uganda, Kazakhstan and Hungary, March-April 2012.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Opposition Whip from 26.2.10 to 5.8.13.
- Party positions
- Member, Liberal Party State Council (SA) from 1982.
- Federal Vice-President, Young Liberals 1985-87.
- Delegate, Liberal Party Federal Council 1985-87 and 1996-98.
- Member, Liberal Party State Executive 1985-87 and 1996-98.
- State Regional and Rural Chairman, Liberal Party (SA) 1996-98.
- Born 6.6.1956 at Happy Valley, SA.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BEc (Politics) (Flinders).
- Primary producer 1974-98.
- Small business retailer 1985-86.
- Director, Maluka Investments 1984-94.
- Director, Upper South East Co-op 1995-96.
- Director, Green Desert Seeds 1996-99.
- Local government service
- Councillor, Meadows District Council 1981-83.
- Councillor, Mt Barker District Council 1983-92.
- Chair, Mt Lofty Ranges Consultative Committee 1986-92.
- Chair, Southern Hills Local Government Association 1988-90.
- Deputy Mayor, Mt Barker 1991-92.
Location: south-eastern South Australia; it includes the centres of Barmera, Berri, Bordertown, Keith, Kingscote, Kingston SE, Loxton, Mannum, Millicent, Mt Gambier, Murray Bridge, Naracoorte, Nuriootpa, Penola, Renmark, Tailem Bend, Tanunda and Waikerie.
Area: 64 015 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 104 888 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: beef and dairy cattle, sheep, fishing, cropping, forestry, timber, paper products, wine, fresh and dried fruit, vegetables, transport and tourism.
State electorates: Barker includes the South Australian House of Assembly electorates of Chaffey, MacKillop and Mount Gambier, and parts of Hammond, Kavel, Light, Schubert and Stuart.