- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Griffith, Queensland, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Resigned 22.11.2013.
- Ministerial appointments
- Prime Minister from 3.12.07 to 24.6.10 and from 27.6.13 to 18.9.13.
- Minister for Foreign Affairs from 14.9.10 to 26.2.12.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Publications from 8.12.98 to 8.10.01.
- Joint Statutory: Corporations and Securities from 8.12.98 to 11.2.02; Intelligence and Security from 14.3.12 to 27.6.13.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Official Australian Observer Mission to the Indonesian Elections, June 1999.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to East Timor, August-September 2001.
- Official visits to Japan, November 2002; USA, September 2003; UK, November 2003; USA, June 2004; Indonesia, September 2004; USA, September 2005; Hong Kong, December 2005; Indonesia and East Timor, December 2007; Iraq and Afghanistan, December 2007; East Timor, February 2008; Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, March 2008; USA, Belgium, UK, Romania and China, March-April 2008; Japan and Indonesia, June 2008; Japan and Malaysia, July 2008; China, Republic of Korea and Singapore, August 2008; New Zealand and Niue, August 2008; USA, September and November 2008; Peru, November 2008; Bali, December 2008; Afghanistan and United Arab Emirates, December 2008; Papua New Guinea, January 2009; UK, USA and Singapore, March-April 2009; Singapore, May 2009; Malaysia, Germany, Switzerland and Italy, July 2009; USA, July-August 2009; China and Indonesia, August 2009; Singapore, August-September 2009; USA, September 2009; UK, October 2009; Indonesia, October 2009; Thailand, October 2009; Denmark, November 2009; Afghanistan, India and Singapore, November 2009; Trinidad and Tobago, November-December 2009; Japan and Denmark, December 2009; Indonesia, February-March 2010; Canada, March 2010; Indonesia, May 2010; Canada, May 2010; Pakistan and USA, September 2010; Japan, Belgium and Italy, October 2010; China and the Republic of Korea, October-November 2010; United Arab Emirates, Kazakhstan and Bahrain, November-December 2010; Indonesia, Egypt, Jordan, Israel, the Palestinian Territories, Brazil and Chile, December 2010; Ethiopia, Switzerland, Turkey, Greece, Liechtenstein and Germany, January-February 2011; South Africa, Egypt, Switzerland, Jordan, Israel, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Tunisia and Oman, February-March 2011; New Zealand, March 2011; Indonesia, March 2011; Singapore, Vietnam and Germany, April 2011; France, Belgium, Germany, USA, St Kitts, Nevis and Italy, April-May 2011; Thailand, Finland, Sweden, Norway and China, May 2011; Hungary, United Arab Emirates, USA and UK, June 2011; Equatorial Guinea, Kazakhstan and Burma, June-July 2011; Indonesia and Timor-Leste, July 2011; Indonesia and Kenya, July 2011; USA and Mexico, September 2011; Papua New Guinea, September-October 2011; Singapore and the Philippines, October 2011; USA, November 2011; India, November 2011; Republic of Korea, November-December 2011; Germany, Lithuania, Italy, Libya, Qatar, USA and El Salvador, December 2011; Indonesia and USA, January 2012; France, Belgium, UK, Germany, Ethiopia and Switzerland, January 2012; Germany, February 2012; Mexico, USA and Tunisia, February 2012.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 22.11.01 to 29.11.07. Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs from 25.11.01 to 10.12.06; and International Security from 8.12.03 to 10.12.06; and Trade from 24.6.05 to 10.12.06.
- Leader of the Federal Parliamentary Labor Party from 4.12.06 to 24.6.10 and from 26.6.13 to 13.9.13.
- Leader of the Opposition from 4.12.06 to 3.12.07.
- Party positions
- Member, ALP State Campaign Committee (Qld) 1989.
- President and Secretary, ALP Bulimba Branch 1994-98.
- Born 21.9.1957, Nambour, Qld.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA(Hons) (ANU).
- Diplomat 1981-88.
- Chief of Staff to the Hon. W Goss 1988-91.
- Director-General, Cabinet Office (Qld) 1991-95.
- Senior China Consultant, KPMG Australia 1996-98.
Description: outer metropolitan.
Location: eastern Brisbane; it includes the suburbs of Balmoral, Bulimba, Camp Hill, Carina Heights, Coorparoo, Dutton Park, East Brisbane, Greenslopes, Highgate Hill, Hawthorne, Kangaroo Point, Morningside, Norman Park, Seven Hills, South Brisbane, Woolloongabba and parts of Annerley, Cannon Hill, Carina, Holland Park, Holland Park West, Mount Gravatt East, Murarrie, Tarragindi and West End.
Area: 60 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 97 136 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: food processing and light industry.
State electorates: Griffith includes parts of the Queensland Legislative Assembly electorates of Bulimba, Chatsworth, Greenslopes, Mansfield, South Brisbane and Yeerongpilly.