- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Capricornia, Queensland, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010. Retired prior to general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 20.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 8.12.98 to 31.8.00; Communications, Transport and the Arts from 9.10.00 to 8.10.01; Environment and Heritage from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Transport and Regional Services from 20.8.02 to 2.12.02; Education and Vocational Training from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07; Climate Change, Water, Environment and the Arts from 19.2.08 to 19.7.10; Family, Community, Housing and Youth from 19.2.08 to 19.7.10; Primary Industries and Resources from 19.2.08 to 19.7.10; Regional Australia from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Statutory: Public Works from 27.11.12 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Standing: Treaties from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Select: Constitutional Recognition of Local Government from 26.11.12 to 5.8.13.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Attended 13th Annual APPF and Parliamentary Delegation to Vietnam, January 2005.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to USA, September-October 2011.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary to the Shadow Minister for Environment and Heritage from 25.11.01 to 18.2.03; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary to the Shadow Minister for Sustainability and the Environment from 18.2.03 to 16.3.04; and also Heritage from 2.7.03 to 16.3.04; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Employment, Education and Training from 16.3.04 to 26.10.04; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Education from 26.10.04 to 3.12.07.
- Party positions
- Member, ALP Law and Law Enforcement Policy Committee (Qld) 1996-98.
- Member, ALP Women's Policy Committee (Qld) 1996-98.
- Born 10.11.1969, Mackay, Qld.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BComm, LLB (Qld).
- Union organiser, Community and Public Sector Union 1995.
- Solicitor 1996-98.
Location: central eastern Queensland; it includes the city of Rockhampton and the towns of Collinsville, Dysart, Emu Park, Glenden, Marlborough, Mirani, Moranbah, Nebo, St Lawrence, Sarina, Yeppoon, and parts of Clermont and Middlemount. Capricornia also contains Great Keppel Island and nearby islands.
Area: 91 049 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 91 962 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: primary production, grains, beef cattle, grazing, fishing, coal mining, meat works, dairy products and tourism.
State electorates: Capricornia includes the Queensland Legislative Assembly electorate of Keppel, and parts of Burdekin, Dalrymple, Gregory, Mirani and Rockhampton.