- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Banks, New South Wales, 1990, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010. Defeated at general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary appointments
- Parliamentary Representative on the Council of the National Library of Australia from 13.5.08 to 12.5.11.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 16.5.90 to 31.8.98 (Chair from 13.5.93 to 29.1.96), from 20.3.02 to 11.8.03 and from 2.12.04 to 19.7.10; Procedure from 12.5.93 to 29.1.96 and from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 29.5.96 to 8.10.01 and from 18.8.03 to 31.8.04; Privileges from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07; Privileges and Members' Interests from 19.2.08 to 19.7.10.
- Joint Statutory: National Crime Authority from 16.5.90 to 8.2.93; Native Title and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land Account from 18.6.96 to 6.2.01 and from 16.6.05 to 23.3.06; Intelligence and Security from 12.3.08 to 14.3.12.
- Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 16.5.90 to 29.1.96, from 26.6.01 to 25.6.02, from 19.8.02 to 6.9.05 and from 18.2.08 (Chair from 4.9.95 to 20.9.95 and from 18.2.08) to 5.8.13; Parliamentary Library from 15.3.10 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Select: Intelligence Services from 28.6.01 to 27.8.01; Australia's Immigration Detention Network from 4.7.11 (Chair from 5.7.11) to 30.3.12.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Syria, Lebanon, Tunisia and Morocco, November-December 1993.
- Study tour, UK, November 1999.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to France, September 2001.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 19.3.96 to 30.8.00 and from 22.11.01 to 22.10.04. Shadow Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 20.3.96 to 30.8.00; Assistant to the Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs on Arms Control from 20.3.96 to 20.10.98; Shadow Minister for Reconciliation from 20.10.98 to 30.8.00; Shadow Minister for Justice and Customs from 25.11.01 to 2.7.03; Shadow Minister for Heritage and Territories from 2.7.03 to 8.12.03; Shadow Minister for Housing, Urban Development and Local Government from 8.12.03 to 22.10.04.
- Chair, ALP Parliamentary Caucus from 22.10.04 to 30.10.12.
- Party positions
- Member, ALP since 1974.
- Assistant Secretary, NSW Young Labor Council 1978.
- Secretary-Treasurer, ALP Panania Branch from 1980.
- President, Banks Federal Electorate Council 1987-90.
- Vice-President, ALP (NSW) from 3.9.99 to 26.5.02.
- Trustee, ALP (NSW) from 26.5.02 to 4.5.08.
- Born 26.11.1954 at Belmore, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BEc, LLB (Syd).
- Public solicitor 1979-87.
- Public defender 1987-90.
Description: inner metropolitan.
Location: south western Sydney; it includes the suburbs of Allawah, Blakehurst, Connells Point, Hurstville, Hurstville Grove, South Hurstville, Kyle Bay, Lugarno, Mortdale, Oatley, Padstow Heights, Peakhurst, Peakhurst Heights, Penshurst and parts of Bankstown, Beverly Hills, Carlton, Kingsgrove, Narwee, Padstow, Punchbowl, Revesby and Riverwood.
Area: 49 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 98 762 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: light manufacturing, commercial and service industries.
State electorates: Banks includes the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorate of Oatley, and parts of East Hills, Kogarah and Lakemba.