On 26 November 2009, the Senate referred to the committee the
examination of estimates of proposed additional expenditure for the financial
year 2009-10. The committee is responsible for the examination of the
Attorney-General's Portfolio and the Immigration and Citizenship Portfolio. The
portfolio additional estimates statements were tabled on 26 November 2009. A correction
to the Immigration and Citizenship Portfolio Additional Estimates Statements
2009-2010 was tabled at the committee's hearing on 9 February 2010.
Reference of documents
The Senate referred to the committee, for examination and
report, the following documents:
- Particulars of proposed additional expenditure in respect of the year
ending on 30 June 2010 [Appropriation Bill (No. 3) 2009-2010];
- Particulars of certain proposed additional expenditure in respect
of the year ending on 30 June 2010 [Appropriation Bill (No. 4) 2009-2010];
- Final budget outcome 2008-09 – Reports by the Treasurer (Mr Swan)
and the Minister for Finance and Deregulation (Mr Tanner), September 2009; and
- Issues from the advances under the annual Appropriation Acts –
Report for 2008-09.
The committee was required to report on its consideration of
the Additional Estimates on or before 23 February 2010.
The committee met in public session on 8 and 9 February 2010.
Over the course of the two days' hearings, totalling over 22 hours,
the committee took evidence from the following departments and agencies:
- Administrative Appeals Tribunal;
- Attorney-General's Department;
- Australian Customs and Border Protection Service;
- Australian Federal Police;
- Australian Human Rights Commission;
- Australian Security Intelligence Organisation;
- Classification Board and Classification Review Board;
- Department of Immigration and Citizenship;
- Family Court of Australia;
- Federal Court of Australia;
- Federal Magistrates Court of Australia; and
- High Court of Australia.
Copies of Hansard are available on the internet at the
following address: http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/index.htm.
An index of the Hansard for each portfolio appears at Appendix 3
and Appendix 4.
On 8 February 2010, the committee heard evidence from Senator
the Hon Penny Wong, Minister for Climate Change and Water, Senator the Hon Joseph
Ludwig, Cabinet Secretary and Special Minister of State, and Senator the Hon
Mark Arbib, Minister for Employment Participation and Minister Assisting the
Prime Minister for Government Service Delivery, representing the
Attorney-General and Minister for Home Affairs. On 9 February 2010, the
committee heard evidence from Senator the Hon Chris Evans, Minister for Immigration
Officers from both departments and associated agencies also
appeared. The committee thanks ministers and officers for their assistance.
Questions on notice
Further written explanations, and answers to questions on
notice, will be tabled as soon as possible after they are received. That
information is also available on the committee's internet page at the following
The committee has resolved that the due date for submitting
responses to questions on notice from the Additional Estimates round is 26
Navigation: Previous Page | Contents | Next Page