Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories
Inquiry into the role of the National Capital Authority
Terms of Reference
The terms of reference for the inquiry, referred by the Minister for Home Affairs, the Hon Bob Debus, MP, provide for the committee to inquire into:
- The administration of the National Capital Plan with particular emphasis on the reduction of red tape and duplication of municipal and local planning functions, the jurisdiction of ACT spatial policy and harmonisation of planning systems;
- Whether the governance arrangements for the NCA provide a sufficient balance between the independence of the Authority’s planning decisions and its accountability for its operations;
- The appropriate level of oversight required to achieve the highest standards in design for areas of national significance;
- Opportunities to ensure cooperation with the ACT planning authority and increased engagement with the Canberra community;
- The effective national promotion of the National Capital, and the roles of the NCA and the ACT Government in advocacy for new infrastructure projects including responsibility for events and developing the distinctive character of the National Capital.
The committee has been asked to report by 30 June 2008.
Back to top