On the 20 August 2015 the following matter be referred to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee for inquiry and report:
The establishment of a national registration system for Australian paramedics to improve and ensure patient and community safety, with particular reference to:
- the role and contribution made by those in the paramedic profession, including the circumstances in which they are required to operate;
- the comparative frameworks that exist to regulate the following professions, including training and qualification requirements and continuing professional development:
- doctors, and
- registered nurses;
- the comparative duties of paramedics, doctors and registered nurses;
- whether a system of accreditation should exist nationally and, if so, whether the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency is an appropriate body to do so;
- the viability and appropriateness of a national register to enable national registration for the paramedic profession to support and enable the seamless and unrestricted movement of paramedic officers across the country for employment purposes; and
- any other related matters.
The submission deadline is 29 January 2016. The reporting date is 30 June 2016.