On 26 June 2014, the following matter was referred to the Finance and Public Administration Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by the seventh sitting day in March 2015:
- progress in implementing the recommendations of the committee‘s 2012 reports into the performance of the Department of Parliamentary Services (DPS), with particular reference to:
- workplace culture and employment issues,
- heritage management, building maintenance and asset management issues, and
- contract management;
- the senior management structure of DPS and arrangements to maintain the independence of the Parliamentary Librarian;
- oversight arrangements for security in the parliamentary precincts and security policies;
- progress in consolidating Information and Communication Technology services and future directions;
- the future of Hansard within DPS;
- the use of Parliament House as a commercial venue;
- further consideration of budget-setting processes for the Parliament and the merits of distinguishing the operating costs of the parliamentary institution and such direct support services such as Hansard, Broadcasting and the Parliamentary Library, from the operations and maintenance of the parliamentary estate;
- consideration of whether the distinction between the operations of the parliamentary institution and its direct support services, and the operations and maintenance of the parliamentary estate, is a more effective and useful foundation for future administrative support arrangements, taking into account the need for the Houses to be independent of one another and of the executive government;
- and any related matters.
Submissions closing date is 5 September 2014. The reporting date is seventh sitting day in March 2015.