On 15 February 2017, the Senate referred the following matter to the Senate Community Affairs References Committee for inquiry and report:
The number of women in Australia who have had transvaginal mesh implants and related matters.
- The number of women in Australia:
- who have had transvaginal mesh implants;
- who have had transvaginal mesh implants who have experienced adverse side
- who have made attempts to have the mesh removed in Australia or elsewhere.
- Information provided to women prior to surgery about possible complications and side
- Information provided to doctors regarding transvaginal mesh implants and possible complications and side effects.
- Any financial or other incentives provided to medical practitioners to use or promote
transvaginal mesh implants.
- The types and incidence of health problems experienced by women with transvaginal
mesh implants and the impact these health problems have had on women’s lives.
- The Therapeutic Goods Association’s:
- role in investigating the suitability of the implants for use in Australia;
- role in ongoing monitoring of the suitability of the implants; and
- knowledge of women suffering with health problems after having transvaginal
- Options available to women to have transvaginal mesh removed.
Submissions should be received by 31 May 2017. The reporting date is 30 November 2017.