On 5 March 2014, the Senate referred the following matter to the Senate Environment and Communications References Committee for inquiry and report by 16 June 2014:
The history, appropriateness and effectiveness of the use of environmental offsets in federal environmental approvals in Australia, including:
- the principles that underpin the use of offsets;
- the processes used to develop and assess proposed offsets;
- the adequacy of monitoring and evaluation of approved offsets arrangements to determine whether promised environmental outcomes are achieved over the short and long term; and
- any other related matters
That in conducting the inquiry the committee consider the terms of reference in (1) with specific regard to, but not restricted to, the following projects:
- Whitehaven Coal’s Maules Creek Project;
- Waratah Coal’s Galilee Coal Project;
- QGC’s Queensland Curtis LNG project;
- North Queensland Bulk Port’s Abbot Point Coal Terminal Capital Dredging Project; and
- Jandakot Airport developments.
Submissions should be received by 4 April 2014. The reporting date is 16 June 2014. On 16 June 2014 the Senate granted an extension of time to report until 25 June 2014.