On the 25 June 2015 the following matter be referred to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee for inquiry and report:
The use of smoke alarms to prevent smoke and fire related deaths, with particular reference to:
- the incidence of smoke and fire related injuries and deaths and associated damage to property;
- the immediate and long term effects of such injuries and deaths;
- how the use, type and installation set-ups of smoke alarms could affect such injuries and deaths;
- what smoke alarms are in use in owner-occupied and rented dwellings and the installation set-ups;
- how the provisions of the Australian Building Code relating to smoke alarm type, installation and use can be improved;
- whether there are any other legislative or regulatory measures which would minimise such injuries and deaths; and
- any related matter.
On 16 March 2016, the Senate granted an extension of time for reporting until 30 June 2016.