Schools and travel agents who make reservations on behalf of school groups are advised that from 1 July 2015 booking requests for schools planning to visit Parliament House will be offered on a 24-month rolling basis. A schedule of dates for booking requests is outlined below.
More than 100,000 students visit Parliament House each year as part of organised school visits. While in Parliament House students can participate in the Parliamentary Education Program for 1 hour, participate in a guided tour which includes a visit to both Chambers, and enjoy refreshments in the hospitality area provided by the Parliament.
The School Visits Program is managed by the Serjeant-at-Arms' Office. School tours including Parliamentary Education Office programs are scheduled between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays and the middle of December to the 1st February.
SCHEDULE OF SCHOOL BOOKING DATES
|July, August, September, October, November, December 2016, and
February, March, April, May, June and July 2017
|1 July 2015
||1 August 2015
||1 September 2015
||1 October 2015
||1 November 2015
||1 December 2015
||1 February 2016
||1 March 2016
The School Visits Program is managed by the Serjeant-at-Arms’ Office. To submit a booking request, please complete the ‘School Booking Request Form’ and forward the completed form via email to email@example.com. If you are filling in the PDF form electronically, please ensure you save the file before forwarding it to us. Requests will be processed in the order they are received. If the requested date and time are not available, our team will contact you to offer alternatives. To assist with planning, please see the Public Liability Certificate and Risk Assessment Statement.
- Agents booking on behalf of schools must complete and email a separate booking form for each school booking request. An email with multiple booking requests attached will not be accepted.
- A booking will not be accepted from an Agent unless the visit to Parliament House is confirmed by the school. Schools will be forwarded a copy of all booking confirmations.
- The maximum number per gallery is fifty students and five adults. If requested numbers exceed the maximum, the bookings team will divide school groups into smaller groups to meet this requirement
- If more than the confirmed numbers arrive for the school visit, the additional students will not be able to participate
- Booking cancellations must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and include confirmation of the cancellation in writing by the school.
- Changes to bookings must be notified to the Serjeant-at-Arms’ Office as soon as possible by emailing email@example.com.
The Parliament and Civics Education Rebate (PACER) is an initiative of the Australian Government which provides some financial assistance for students in Years 4 to 12 across Australia to travel to Canberra. Information regarding financial assistance is available at www.pacer.org.au
Coach and Bus Parking
When entering the underground car park coach/buses must proceed through the designated boom gate and if prompted collect a parking ticket. There are designated coach/bus parking bays which are located at the rear of the public car park. Drivers may validate their parking ticket at The Parliament Shop (located in the Parliament House foyer) when they are able to provide documentation confirming the bus has more than 12 seats or they are with a group of more than 12. Upon leaving, the validated ticket should be inserted into the booth at the exit boom gate.
On arrival please visit the information desk in the foyer to confirm participant numbers and present PACER paperwork for authorisation.
During sitting weeks tour participants will be asked to cloak items such as cameras, phones and bags prior to entry to the Chamber Galleries.
Filming and photography
Parliament House has filming and photography guidelines that prohibit filming and photography in the private areas of Parliament House. These restrictions include the House of Representatives and Senate Chambers during sitting weeks.
We look forward to welcoming school groups to Parliament House.