Role of the Committee
Terms of appointment
Standing order 19 provides for the appointment of a Standing Committee on Appropriations and Staffing to inquire into:
- proposals for the annual estimates and the additional estimates for the Senate;
- proposals to vary the staff structure of the Senate, and staffing and recruitment policies; and
- such other matters as are referred to it by the Senate.
Further, a resolution of the Senate declares, that no changes in the structure or responsibilities of the parliamentary departments should be made until:
- particulars of proposed changes have been provided to all Senators;
- the Standing Committee on Appropriations and Staffing has examined the proposed changes and reported to the Senate; and
- the Senate has approved of the changes.
The committee makes an annual report to the Senate on the operations of the Senate's appropriations and staffing and related matters.