House of Representatives Committees
House Standing Committee on Regional Australia
Inquiry into the impact of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan in Regional Australia
Terms of Reference
The Standing Committee on Regional Australia will inquire into and report on the socio-economic
impact of the proposed Murray-Darling Basin Authority's 'Guide to the Proposed Basin Plan' (the
Proposed Basin Plan) on regional communities, with particular reference to:
• The direct and indirect impact of the Proposed Basin Plan on regional communities,
including agricultural industries, local business activity and community wellbeing;
• Options for water-saving measures or water return on a region-by-region basis with
consideration given to an analysis of actual usage versus licence entitlement over the
preceding fifteen years
• The role of governments, the agricultural industry and the research sector in developing
and delivering infrastructure and technologies aimed at supporting water efficiency within
the Murray-Darling Basin.
In examining each of these issues, the Committee will also consider community views on:
• Measures to increase water efficiency and reduces consumption and their relative costeffectiveness;
• Opportunities for economic growth and diversification within regional communities; and
• Previous relevant reform and structural adjustment programs and the impact on
communities and regions.
This will include consultation with Local Government, Regional Development Australia, community
groups and individual stakeholders to better understand the local and community issues raised by
the Proposed Basin Plan.
The committee will report back to Parliament by end of May 2011.
Back to top