Federal election announced
Posted 21/07/2010 by Chris Lawley
On Saturday, 17 July 2010, the Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced that a federal election would be held on Saturday, 21 August 2010. The 42nd Parliament was prorogued and the House of Representatives dissolved at 5.00pm on Monday, 19 July 2010. Key dates for the 2010 federal election are:
- Announcement: Saturday, 17 July 2010
- Issue of writ: Monday, 19 July 2010
- Deadline to enrol to vote: 8pm Monday, 19 July 2010
- Deadline to update your electoral roll details (Close of rolls): 8pm Thursday, 22 July 2010
- Close of nominations: 12 noon Thursday, 29 July 2010
- Declaration of nominations: 12 noon Friday, 30 July 2010- Election day: Saturday, 21 August 2010
- Return of writ (latest date): Wednesday, 27 October 2010
This will be the first winter election to be held since the double dissolution election of 11 July 1987. It will be only the second federal election to have been held in August (the first having occurred on 21 August 1943).
For more information on the election timetable, see the Australian Electoral Commission website
Thank you for your comment. If it does not require moderation, it will appear shortly.