- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Maranoa, Queensland, 1990, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 19.2.02 to 12.2.08.
- Second Deputy Speaker from 12.2.08 to 9.10.12.
- Deputy Speaker from 9.10.12 to 9.5.16.
- Ministerial appointments
- Minister for Veterans' Affairs from 11.3.96 to 26.11.01.
- Minister Assisting the Minister for Defence from 21.10.98 to 26.11.01.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Employment, Education and Training from 16.5.90 to 6.5.92; Community Affairs from 12.5.93 to 29.1.96; Privileges from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Climate Change, Water, Environment and the Arts from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Appropriations and Administration from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Statutory: Public Works from 10.5.90 to 8.2.93; Australian Security Intelligence Organization from 26.5.93 to 29.1.96; Intelligence and Security from 12.12.13 to 26.12.14.
- Joint Standing: Treaties from 20.3.02 to 17.10.07; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 20.3.02; Electoral Matters from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; National Capital and External Territories from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 28.4.92 to 11.3.96. Shadow Minister for Rural and Regional Development from 28.4.92 to 26.5.94; Local Government from 26.5.94 to 11.3.96.
- Assistant Shadow Minister for Primary Industry from 28.4.92 to 11.3.96; and Rural Matters from 25.9.94 to 11.3.96.
- Party positions
- Member, Young Country Party Roma Branch.
- Member, National Party of Australia; The Nationals and Liberal National Party (Qld) Roma Branch.
- President, The Nationals (Qld) 2005-06.
- Member, Coalition Policy Committees on Communications and Information Technology; Small Business, Sport and the Arts; Trade and Foreign Affairs; and Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry and Conservation.
- Born 20.10.1943, Roma, Qld.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Producer of stud merino sheep, wool and lambs.
- Grain grower.
- Australian Nuffield Farming Scholar 1983.
- President, Queensland Merino Stud Sheep Breeders Association 1983-86.
- President, Maranoa Graziers' Association 1987-90.
- President, Australian Association of Stud Merino Breeders 1989-91.
Location: central and south-western Queensland; it includes the towns of Alpha, Aramac, Barcaldine, Bedourie, Birdsville, Blackall, Charleville, Chinchilla, Cunnamulla, Dalby, Goondiwindi, Isisford, Jericho, Jundah, Kingaroy, Longreach, Miles, Quilpie, Roma, St George, Stanthorpe, Tambo, Tara, Thargomindah, Warwick, Windorah and Winton.
Area: 731 297 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 99 608 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: coal, oil, gas, orchards, cotton, grain, cattle and sheep.
State electorates: Maranoa includes the Queensland Legislative Assembly electorate of Southern Downs, and parts of Callide, Condamine, Gregory, Mount Isa, Nanango and Warrego.