- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the Senate for Queensland 1990 (term began 1.7.90) and 1996 for the Australian Democrats. Resigned 15.10.1997.
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Dickson, Queensland 1998 for the Australian Labor Party. Defeated at general elections 2001.
- Committee service
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Employment, Education and Training from 1.7.90 to 13.11.90; Transport, Communications and Infrastructure from 1.7.90 to 10.10.91.
- Senate Select: Community Standards Relevant to the Supply of Services Utilising Electronic Technologies from 21.6.91 to 23.6.93; Political Broadcasts and Political Disclosures Bill from 16.8.91 to 28.11.91; Superannuation from 17.10.91 to 28.10.93; Sales Tax Legislation from 25.6.92 to 19.8.92; Certain Aspects of Foreign Ownership Decisions in relation to the Print Media from 14.12.93 to 30.3.95; Certain Land Fund Matters from 19.9.95 to 30.11.95.
- Joint Statutory: Native Title from 25.3.94 to 5.5.94; Native Title and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land Fund from 1.7.96 to 15.10.97.
- Joint: Electoral Matters from 13.11.90 to 18.5.93.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to the European Institutions, Strasbourg, Belgium and Luxembourg, September-October 1993.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to the 93rd IPU Conference, Madrid, March 1995.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Parliamentary Leader of the Australian Democrats from 29.4.93 to 15.10.97.
- Spokesperson for Australian Democrats on Transport and Communications; Aboriginal Affairs; Consumer Affairs; Territories (Northern Australia) from 1.7.90 to 8.10.91; on Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation; Electoral Matters; Territories; Treasury and Finance from 8.10.91 to 30.6.93; on Treasury and Finance; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs; Women; Prime Minister and Cabinet; Small Business from 1.7.93 to 30.6.96; on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs and Reconciliation; Commonwealth/State Relations; Prime Minister and Cabinet; Treasury and Finance; Women from 1.7.96 to 25.2.97; Treasury and Finance; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs; Employment; Women; Republic; Prime Minister and Cabinet; Commonwealth/State Relations from 25.2.97 to 15.10.97.
- Member, ALP Opposition Shadow Ministry from 19.10.98 to 22.11.01. Shadow Minister for Regional Development, Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Services from 20.10.98 to 3.10.99; Shadow Minister for Employment and Training from 3.10.99 to 22.11.01.
- Party positions
- State Secretary, Australian Democrats (Qld) 1984.
- State President, Australian Democrats (Qld) 1984-89.
- Deputy National President, Australian Democrats 1988-90.
- Member, ALP from 1997.
- Born 5.12.1948, Maitland, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA (Ncle), DipEd (Ncle CAE).
- Secondary school teacher.
- Freelance radio producer.
- Electorate officer.
Description: Outer metropolitan.
Location: North-western outskirts of Brisbane; it includes the suburbs of Albany Creek, Arana Hills, Bray Park, Brendale, Cashmere, Dayboro, Eatons Hill, Everton Hills, Ferny Hills, Joyner, Kallangur, Lawnton, Petrie, Samford Valley and Strathpine, and parts of Ferny Grove.
Area: 754 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 79 756 (at 3.10.98).
Industries: Retail and light industry.
State electorates: Dickson includes the Queensland Legislative Assembly electorates of Ferny Grove and Kurwongbah, and parts of Aspley, Everton and Kallangur.