- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Mallee, Victoria, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010. Retired prior to general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 20.10.97 to 10.11.98.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Library from 12.5.93 to 29.1.96; Publications from 26.5.93 to 29.1.96; Family and Community Affairs from 29.5.96 (Chair from 3.9.97) to 31.8.98; Industry, Science and Technology from 29.5.96 to 2.3.98; Primary Industries, Resources and Rural and Regional Affairs from 29.5.96 to 11.9.96; Primary Industries and Regional Services from 7.8.01 to 8.10.01; Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry from 20.3.02 to 17.10.07; Primary Industries and Resources from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Procedure from 30.10.97 to 8.10.01; Selection from 23.11.98 to 4.9.08; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 7.8.01 to 8.10.01; Science and Innovation from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04.
- Joint Statutory: Public Works from 29.5.96 to 11.2.02 and from 1.12.04 to 5.8.13; Broadcasting of Parliamentary Proceedings from 8.12.98 to 31.8.04; Australian Security Intelligence Organization from 8.3.99 to 11.2.02; Intelligence and Security from 7.7.11 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 8.12.98 to 27.11.00, from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04 and from 14.2.07 to 17.10.07; Treaties from 11.3.08 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Select: Intelligence Services from 28.6.01 to 27.8.01.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to European Parliamentary Institutions, France and Belgium, and bilateral visits to UK (Northern Ireland) and Republic of Ireland, September-October 1996.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to the 7th Annual Meeting of the Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum, Lima, Peru, January 1999.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, April-May 2000.
- Leader, Parliamentary Delegation to Hungary and Poland, October 2000.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Canada and China, November-December 2002.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Malaysia and Japan, April 2006.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Argentina and Colombia, August 2008.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Switzerland, Austria and USA, June-July 2009.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Rwanda and Tanzania, September-October 2009.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Japan, January 2012.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Canada, May-June 2012.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Chief National Party Whip from 10.11.98 to 11.10.03.
- Chief Party Whip, The Nationals from 11.10.03 to 10.8.06.
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Trade from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Regional Development from 22.9.08 to 8.12.09.
- Born 24.8.1949, Mildura, Vic.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- MSc (Aberdeen), BE (Melb), DipCivE.
- Design engineer, State Electricity Commission, Victoria 1970-80.
- Lecturer, Ballarat College of Advanced Education 1980-82.
- Consulting engineer 1982-93.
Location: north-western Victoria; it includes the centres of Birchip, Charlton, Dimboola, Donald, Edenhope, Horsham, Hopetoun, Jeparit, Kaniva, Kerang, Merbein, Mildura, Nhill, Nyah, Ouyen, Rainbow, Red Cliffs, Robinvale, St Arnaud, Sea Lake, Swan Hill, Warracknabeal and Wycheproof.
Area: 70 694 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 89 840 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: dried fruit, citrus, stone fruit, wheat and cereals, wool, sheep, vegetables, vineyards, olive oil, dairying, beef cattle, pig raising, meat works, gold mining and flour milling.
State electorates: Mallee includes the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorate of Mildura, and parts of Lowan, Rodney and Swan Hill.