- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Fremantle, Western Australia, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary for Mental Health from 4.2.13 to 1.7.13.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Homelessness and Social Housing from 4.2.13 to 1.7.13.
- Minister for International Development from 1.7.13 to 18.9.13.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Health from 4.12.13 to 18.3.14.
- Joint Statutory: Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity from 18.2.08 to 6.2.13 (Chair from 26.8.08 to 6.2.13); Human Rights from 14.3.12 to 13.2.13.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 18.2.08 to 5.2.13, from 3.9.14 to 10.2.15 and from 24.6.15 to 9.5.16; Treaties from 18.2.08 to 6.2.13 and from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 14.10.13 to 19.2.14. Shadow Assistant Minister for Health from 18.10.13 to 19.2.14.
- Party positions
- Member, ALP from 1995.
- Member and Chair, International Party Development Committee, ALP National Executive 2008-10.
- Born 11.8.1966, Bunbury, WA.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BBus (Curtin), LLB (UNSW), LLM (Murdoch).
- GradDipLegalPrac (Sydney University of Technology).
- Solicitor, private law firms 1992-94.
- Solicitor in Charge, Bunbury Community Legal Centre 1994-97.
- Lecturer, School of Law, Murdoch University 1999.
- Senior International Lawyer, United Nations (Kosovo, Gaza, Lebanon, Cyprus, New York) 1999-2007.
Description: inner metropolitan.
Location: south-west of Perth; it includes the city of Fremantle and the suburbs of Attadale, Atwell, Aubin Grove, Banjup, Beaconsfield, Beeliar, Bibra Lake, Bicton, Cockburn Central, Coogee, Coolbellup, Hamilton Hill, Hammond Park, Henderson, Hilton, Jandakot, Kardinya, Munster, North Lake, Palmyra, Samson, South Lake, Spearwood, Success, Wattleup, White Gum Valley, Willagee and Yangebup. It also includes Rottnest Island.
Area: 199 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 100 902 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: smallgoods, ship building, market gardens, brewing, hospitality, tourism and fishing.
State electorates: Fremantle includes the Western Australian Legislative Assembly electorates of Cockburn and Fremantle, and parts of Alfred Cove, Bateman, Cottesloe, Jandakot and Willagee.