- Parliamentary service
- State: elected to the New South Wales Legislative Council 25.3.1995 to 28.2.2003.
- Federal: elected to the House of Representatives for Page, New South Wales, 2007 and 2010. Defeated at general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 18.2.08 to 5.8.13.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: House from 19.2.08 to 19.7.10; Petitions from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13; Selection from 30.9.10 to 14.5.13; Appropriations and Administration from 13.2.13 to 5.8.13; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 14.5.13 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Statutory: Public Works from 25.10.10 (Chair from 28.10.10) to 5.8.13.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 18.2.08 (Chair, Trade Sub-Committee from 12.3.08) to 5.8.13.
- Joint Select: Constitutional Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples from 29.11.12 to 5.8.13.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Timor-Leste, August 2009.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Japan, January 2012.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Timor-Leste, March 2012.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Government Whip from 27.11.12 to 13.5.13.
- Party positions
- Member, ALP from 1982.
- Secretary and President, ALP Lismore Branch.
- Secretary and President, ALP Lismore State Electorate Council.
- Secretary and President, ALP Richmond Federal Electorate Council.
- Delegate, ALP State and Federal Electorate Councils.
- Delegate, ALP Country, State and National Conferences.
- Vice-President, NSW Parliamentary Country Labor.
- Member, Country Labor Advocacy Committee.
- Born 1.11.1954, Ipswich, Queensland.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BLegS (Macq), DipT (Northern Rivers CAE).
- Community consultant and advocate 1990-95.
- Solicitor 1993-94.
- Member, NSW Legislative Council (see Parliamentary service above) 1995-2003.
- Senior Political Adviser to HE Dr Jose Ramos-Horta 2004-07.
Location: New South Wales north coast; it includes the centres of Alstonville, Ballina, Casino, Evans Head, Grafton, Iluka, Kyogle, Lismore and Yamba.
Area: 16 143 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 94 360 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: dairy and beef cattle, pigs, maize, tropical fruit, sugar cane, fishing, prawning, oysters, butter and dairy factories, timber mills, several abattoirs and tourism.
State electorates: Page includes parts of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorates of Ballina, Clarence and Lismore.