- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Kooyong, Victoria, at by-election on 19.11.1994, vice the Hon. AS Peacock (resigned). Re-elected 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2007. Retired prior to general elections 2010.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Library from 20.3.02 to 7.12.05; Science and Innovation from 1.12.04 (Chair from 6.12.04) to 17.10.07; Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Privileges and Members' Interests from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10.
- Joint Statutory: Public Accounts from 29.5.96 to 1.1.98; Public Accounts and Audit from 1.1.98 to 31.8.04 and from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 18.6.96 to 31.8.98; Migration from 29.3.01 to 11.2.02 and from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Electoral Matters from 20.3.02 (Chair from 27.3.02) to 31.8.04; Parliamentary Library from 28.2.06 to 17.10.07.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to UK, the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Austria, April 2008.
- Party positions
- Director, Liberal Policy Unit 1985-89.
- State Director, Liberal Party (Vic) 1989-94.
- Born 30.11.1947, Corfu, Greece.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Senior tutor in Politics, La Trobe University 1970-73.
- Senior Adviser to the Prime Minister, the Rt Hon. JM Fraser, CH 1975-79.
- Secretary, Ethnic Television Review Panel 1979-80.
- Director, Australian Institute of Multicultural Affairs 1980-85.
- Senior Adviser to the Leader of the Opposition, the Hon. AS Peacock 1985.
- Party official 1985-94 (see Party Positions above).
- Seconded to be Political Coordinator in the Office of the Leader of the Opposition, Dr JR Hewson 1993-94.
Description: inner metropolitan.
Location: eastern Melbourne; it includes the inner eastern suburbs of Balwyn, Balwyn North, Canterbury, Hawthorn, Hawthorn East, Kew, Kew East and parts of Camberwell, Glen Iris and Surrey Hills.
Area: 49 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 88 324 (at 24.11.07).
Industries: retail and service industries.
State electorates: Kooyong includes the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorate of Kew, and parts of Box Hill, Burwood and Hawthorn.