- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Murray, Victoria, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for the Environment and Heritage from 21.10.98 to 26.10.04.
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Finance and Administration from 26.10.04 to 27.1.06.
- Minister for Workforce Participation from 27.1.06 to 3.12.07.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Primary Industries, Resources and Rural and Regional Affairs from 29.5.96 to 31.8.98; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 4.6.97 to 31.8.98 and from 11.3.08 to 10.11.08; Indigenous Affairs from 4.12.13 (Chair from 11.2.14); Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government from 17.3.08 to 10.11.08; Education and Training from 3.2.10 to 19.7.10; Regional Australia from 16.11.10 to 25.8.11; Social Policy and Legal Affairs from 4.12.13 to 22.10.15; Education and Employment from 9.9.15 to 11.11.15.
- Joint Statutory: Public Accounts from 29.5.96 to 1.1.98; Public Accounts and Audit from 1.1.98 to 31.8.98 and from 4.12.13 to 25.2.14.
- Joint Standing: Migration from 10.11.08 to 3.2.10; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16 (Chair of Foreign Affairs, and Aid Sub-Committee from 12.12.13 to 9.5.16); Treaties from 25.2.14 to 11.11.15.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 6.12.07 to 14.9.10. Shadow Minister for the Environment, Heritage, the Arts and Indigenous Affairs from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Minister for Immigration and Citizenship from 22.9.08 to 8.12.09; Shadow Minister for Early Childhood Education and Childcare from 8.12.09 to 14.9.10; Shadow Minister for the Status of Women from 8.12.09 to 14.9.10.
- Party positions
- President, Burwood Liberal Party Women's Section and member of various policy committees.
- Chair, Coalition Policy Committee on Agriculture.
- Member, Victorian Rural and Regional Standing Committee.
- Born 23.4.1951, Pyramid Hill, Vic.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA (Anthropology) (Hons), PhD (Sociology) (Monash), MA (Economics & Business) (La Trobe), GradDipTertEd (Hawthorn CAE).
- Manager, International Development, University of Melbourne 1994-95.
- Member, Governing Council, La Trobe University 1987-93 and 1991-93.
- Pricing & Water Conservation Consultant, Melbourne Water 1991.
- Director, Social Policy & Communications Victorian Farmers Federation 1990-91.
- Director, Communications, Victoria Department of Agriculture 1989-90.
- Manager, Consumer Policy, Rural Water Corporation of Victoria1987-89.
- Manager, Community Engagement & Victorian Salinity Program, Victorian Ministry of Planning & Environment 1986-87.
- Regional Assistant Manager, Victorian Office of Corrections, Southern Metropolitan Region 1985-86.
- Curriculum Development & Prison Liaison Officer, Victorian Aboriginal Education Service 1984-84.
- Lecturer, Institute of Early Childhood Development, University of Melbourne 1977-82.
- Community Development Officer, Westernport Regional Council for Social Development 1976-78.
Location: Northern Victoria; it includes the towns of Shepparton and Echuca and centres of Avenel, Boort, Bridgewater, Cobram, Euroa, Kyabram, Mooroopna, Murchison, Nagambie, Nathalia, Numurkah, Rochester, Rushworth, Tatura, Violet Town, Wedderburn and Yarrawonga.
Area: 19 500 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 100 185 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: sheep, wheat, dairy, viticulture and fruit processing industries.
State electorates: Murray includes the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorate of Shepparton, and parts of Bendigo East, Euroa, Murray Valley, Ovens Valley and Swan Hill.