- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Tangney, Western Australia, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Defeated at general elections 2016. (Liberal Party of Australia until 9.5.2016; Independent from 9.5.2016).
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Science and Innovation from 1.12.04 to 17.10.07; Industry, Science and Innovation from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Transport and Regional Services from 1.12.04 to 17.10.07; Education and Training from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Petitions from 25.10.10 to 9.5.16 (Chair from 12.12.13 to 9.5.16).
- Joint Statutory: Public Accounts and Audit from 29.5.06 to 17.10.07.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 25.10.10 to 9.5.16; Treaties from 4.12.13 to 22.10.15.
- Party positions
- Member, Liberal Party Booragoon Branch from 2009.
- Member, Liberal Party Geelong Branch 1997-2000.
- Vice-President, Liberal Party Brand Division 2003-04.
- Member, Liberal Party Willetton Branch 2004-09.
- Born 28.2.1962, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BAppSc (RMIT), MSc (Melb), PhD (Monash).
- Air traffic controller 1983-86.
- Research scientist, CSIRO 1995-99.
- Research scientist and defence analyst 1999-2004.
Description: inner metropolitan.
Location: southern Perth; it includes the suburbs of Applecross, Alfred Cove, Ardross, Attadale, Bateman, Booragoon, Bull Creek, Canning Vale, Leeming, Melville, Mount Pleasant, Murdoch, Myaree, Parkwood, Riverton, Rossmoyne, Shelley, Willetton and Winthrop, and parts of Kardinya.
Area: 96 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 94 809 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: light industry, retail and service industries.
State electorates: Tangney includes parts of the Western Australian Legislative Assembly electorates of Alfred Cove, Bateman, Jandakot, Riverton, Southern River and Willagee.