- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Petrie, Queensland, 1996, 1998, 2001 and 2004. Defeated at general elections 2007.
- Re-elected to the House of Representatives for Brisbane, Queensland, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 19.2.02 to 31.8.04.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence from 18.7.04 to 27.1.06.
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Foreign Affairs from 27.1.06 to 30.1.07.
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship from 30.1.07 to 21.3.07.
- Assistant Minister for Immigration and Citizenship from 21.3.07 to 3.12.07.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Industry, Science and Technology from 29.5.96 to 31.8.98; Economics, Finance and Public Administration from 8.12.98 to 31.8.04; Employment, Education and Workplace Relations from 8.12.98 to 8.10.01; Ageing from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Education and Training from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04.
- Joint Standing: Migration from 18.6.96 to 2.9.97, from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04 (Chair from 25.3.02 to 19.8.02) and from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16 (Chair from 11.2.14 to 9.5.16).
- Parliamentary party positions
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for International Development Assistance from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Citizenship and Settlement from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13.
- Party positions
- Member, Young Liberals.
- Member, Liberal Party Aspley Branch from 1994.
- Member, Liberal Party Immigration and Ethnic Affairs Policy Committee 1995.
- Born 29.11.1958, Brisbane, Qld.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BBus (Queensland University of Technology).
- Area sales manager, Southern Pacific Hotel Corporation 1985-86.
- Account manager (Qld), Thrifty Car Rental 1991-92.
- Marketing manager, Franchisors Association of Australia and New Zealand 1995.
- Tutor of marketing, School of Marketing and International Business, Queensland University of Technology 1994-95.
- Marketing consultant, Gambaro Marketing.
- Small retail business owner.
Description: inner metropolitan.
Location: central Brisbane; it includes the suburbs of Albion, Alderley, Ascot, Bowen Hills, Brisbane City, Clayfield, Fortitude Valley, Gaythorne, Gordon Park, Grange, Hamilton, Hendra, Herston, Kalinga, Kelvin Grove, Lutwyche, Milton, New Farm, Newmarket, Newstead, Red Hill, Spring Hill, Wilston, Windsor, Wooloowin and parts of Ashgrove, Bardon, Everton Park, Enoggera, Paddington and Stafford.
Area: 58 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 97 446 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: light industry, retail and service industries. It also includes the Queensland Parliament House and Brisbane City Council Chambers and many Commonwealth Government, State Government and business administrative offices.
State electorates: Brisbane includes the Queensland Legislative Assembly electorate of Brisbane Central, and parts of Ashgrove, Clayfield, Everton, Mount Coot-tha and Stafford.