- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Brand, Western Australia, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary for Regional Development and Northern Australia from 3.12.07 to 9.6.09.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Western and Northern Australia from 9.6.09 to 14.9.10.
- Special Minister of State from 14.9.10 to 25.3.13.
- Special Minister of State for the Public Service and Integrity from 14.9.10 to 14.12.11.
- Minister for the Public Service and Integrity from 14.12.11 to 25.3.13.
- Minister for Resources and Energy from 25.3.13 to 18.9.13.
- Minister for Tourism from 25.3.13 to 18.9.13.
- Minister for Small Business from 25.3.13 to 18.9.13.
- Committee service
- Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Joint Select: Northern Australia from 9.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 14.10.13. Shadow Minister for Resources from 18.10.13 to 4.5.16.
- Shadow Minister for Northern Australia from 18.10.13 to 4.5.16.
- Shadow Special Minister of State from 18.10.13 to 2.3.16.
- Party positions
- ALP Party Member, 1974-.
- National Organiser, ALP 1986-90.
- Assistant National Secretary and Director of Fundraising, ALP 1990.
- Chair, ALP National Campaign Committee 1992.
- National Secretary, ALP 1993-2000.
- Born 30.4.1958, Rotherham, UK.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BEc (ANU).
- National Secretariat, ALP (ACT) 1986-2000.
- Executive Director, Medical Research Foundation 2000-01.
- Senior Executive, Woodside Energy 2001-07.
Description: outer metropolitan.
Location: south of Perth; it includes the centres of Kwinana and Rockingham, and parts of Mandurah.
Area: 411 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 99 867 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: heavy industry in the Kwinana industrial area, alumina refining, tourism and the naval base HMAS Stirling on Garden Island.
State electorates: Brand includes the Western Australian Legislative Assembly electorates of Kwinana, Rockingham, Warnbro and parts of Mandurah.
- Appointed Officer of the Order of Australia, January 2003.
- Awarded Centenary Medal 2001.