- Parliamentary service
- State: elected to the New South Wales Legislative Assembly for Granville from 24.3.1984. Resigned 17.2.1990.
- Federal: elected to the House of Representatives for Reid, New South Wales, 1990, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2007.
- Re-elected following the 2009 electoral redistribution for Werriwa, New South Wales 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary for Multicultural Affairs and Settlement Services from 3.12.07 to 14.9.10.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Industry, Science and Technology from 16.5.90 to 29.1.96; Long Term Strategies from 1.6.90 to 8.2.93; Library from 12.5.93 to 29.1.96 and from 8.12.98 to 31.8.04; Employment, Education and Training from 12.5.93 to 27.6.94; Social Policy and Legal Affairs from 14.5.13 to 5.8.13; Communications and the Arts from 10.11.15 to 9.5.16.
- Joint Statutory: Public Accounts from 29.5.96 to 19.6.97; Human Rights from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 17.5.90 to 29.1.96, from 12.8.99 to 31.8.04, from 25.10.10 to 19.9.12 (Chair, Human Rights Sub-Committee from 17.11.10 to 19.9.12) and from 5.2.13 to 9.5.16; Migration from 26.5.93 to 29.1.96 and from 20.3.02 to 17.10.07; Electoral Matters from 19.9.95 to 26.6.01 (Chair from 21.9.95 to 29.1.96); Treaties from 17.6.96 to 12.8.99, from 14.3.12 to 20.9.12 and from 14.3.13 to 5.8.13.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 19.3.96 to 3.12.07. Shadow Minister for Administrative Services from 20.3.96 to 27.3.97; Shadow Minister for Veterans' Affairs from 27.3.97 to 20.10.98; Shadow Minister for Defence Science and Personnel from 27.3.97 to 25.11.01; Shadow Minister for Forestry and Conservation from 20.10.98 to 25.11.01; Shadow Minister for Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs from 25.11.01 to 8.12.03; Shadow Minister for Population, Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs from 8.12.03 to 26.10.04; Shadow Minister for Immigration from 26.10.04 to 24.6.05; Shadow Minister for Consumer Affairs from 24.6.05 to 10.12.06; Shadow Minister for Population Health and Health Regulation from 24.6.05 to 10.12.06; Shadow Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Urban Development and Consumer Affairs from 10.12.06 to 3.12.07.
- Party positions
- Past member, ALP Administrative Committee (NSW).
- Past member, Foreign Affairs Committee (NSW).
- Past member, Disputes Committee (NSW).
- Secretary, Reid Federal Electoral Council 1976-90.
- Born 7.7.1952, Sydney, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- MA, BEc (Syd).
- Research Officer, Federated Miscellaneous Workers' Union 1976-84.
- Member, Legislative Assembly, New South Wales 1984-90 (see Parliamentary service above).
Description: outer metropolitan.
Location: outer south western Sydney; it includes the suburbs of Austral, Bardia, Bow Bowing, Casula, Claymore, Denham Court, Edmondson Park, Eschol Park, Glenfield, Horningsea Park, Hoxton Park, Ingleburn, Leppington, Lurnea, Macquarie Fields, Minto, Minto Heights, Prestons, Raby, St Andrews, Varroville, and parts of Liverpool, Leumeah and West Hoxton.
Area: 159 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 96 020 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: light manufacturing, retail and service industries.
State electorates: Werriwa includes parts of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorates of Camden, Campbelltown, Holsworthy, Liverpool and Macquarie Fields.