- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2007.
- Re-elected following the 2008 electoral redistribution for Durack, Western Australia 2010. Retired prior to general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 1.6.06 to 17.10.07.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 8.12.98 to 31.8.04 and from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13; House from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Industry and Resources from 20.3.02 to 17.10.07; Members' Interests from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Transport and Regional Services from 20.3.02 to 17.10.07; Procedure from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Employment and Workplace Relations from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Primary Industries and Resources from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Regional Australia from 25.10.10 to 16.11.10 and from 25.8.11 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Statutory: Native Title and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land Fund from 8.12.98 to 11.2.02.
- Joint Standing: Treaties from 23.5.01 to 11.2.02; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 1.12.04 to 17.10.07.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to New Caledonia and Vanuatu, November 2003.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to United Arab Emirates and Kuwait, October 2005.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Malaysia and Japan, April 2006.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Malaysia and Thailand, August 2008.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Canada and Mexico, April-May 2009.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to New Zealand, March 2011.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Denmark, Sweden and Greece, April 2011.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Infrastructure, Roads and Transport from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Roads and Transport from 22.9.08 to 10.11.08; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Energy and Resources from 10.11.08 to 8.12.09.
- Party positions
- Member, Liberal Party Karratha Branch from 1987.
- Born 19.11.1945, Southern Cross, WA.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Catering management 1968-78.
- Company director, air conditioning and building maintenance 1978-98.
- Military Service
Location: northern Western Australia; it includes the centres of Broome, Carnarvon, Dampier, Derby, Exmouth, Geraldton, Kalbarri, Karratha, Newman, Port Hedland, Wiluna and Wyndham.
Area: 1 587 758 sq km (approx.) - this constitutes the largest electorate in Australia.
Electors enrolled: 85 782 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: mining, cattle, sheep, fishing, tropical fruits, vegetables and tourism.
State electorates: Durack includes the Western Australian Legislative Assembly electorates of Kimberly and North West, and parts of Central Wheatbelt, Geraldton, Kalgoorlie, Moore and Pilbara.