- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Chisholm, Victoria, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Parliamentary positions
- Deputy Speaker from 12.2.08 to 28.9.10 and from 24.11.11 to 9.10.12.
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 30.9.10 to 24.11.11 and from 25.3.15 to 9.5.16.
- Speaker of the House of Representatives from 9.10.12 to 5.8.13.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Economics, Finance and Public Administration from 8.12.98 to 31.8.04; Privileges from 2.12.04 to 27.3.07 and from 29.3.07 to 17.10.07; Climate Change, Environment and the Arts from 25.10.10 to 7.2.12; Petitions from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13; Privileges and Members' Interests from 25.10.10 to 9.5.16; House from 9.10.12 to 5.8.13 (Chair from 9.10.12 to 5.8.13).
- Joint Statutory: Corporations and Financial Services from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07; Public Accounts and Audit from 2.12.04 to 12.9.05; Broadcasting of Parliamentary Proceedings from 9.10.12 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Standing: National Capital and External Territories from 12.2.08 to 19.7.10.
- Joint Select: Parliamentary Budget Office from 23.11.10 to 23.3.11; Australia's Clean Energy Future Legislation from 14.9.11 to 7.10.11.
- Party positions
- Delegate, ALP State Conference (Vic) 1988-2011.
- Member, Federal Electorate Assembly Executive 1998-2006.
- Member, State Economics and Industry Committee (Vic) 1997-98.
- Born 1.1.1966, Melbourne, Vic.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA (Hons) (Monash), MComm (Hons) (Melb).
- Industrial Officer, Victorian Roads 1988-93.
- Industrial Officer, Victorian University of Technology 1993-94.
- National Industrial Officer, Finance Sector Union 1994-98.
Description: inner metropolitan.
Location: eastern Melbourne; it includes the suburbs of Ashwood, Blackburn South, Box Hill, Box Hill North, Box Hill South, Burwood, Chadstone, Huntingdale, Mont Albert, Mount Waverley and Oakleigh East, and parts of Clayton, Forest Hill, Mont Albert North, Oakleigh and Surrey Hills.
Area: 65 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 96 315 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: higher education, retail and service industries, metal, transport and electrical firms, warehouses.
State electorates: Chisholm includes parts of the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorates of Box Hill, Burwood, Clarinda, Forest Hill, Mt Waverley and Oakleigh.