- Parliamentary service
- State: elected to the New South Wales Legislative Assembly for Swansea 25.3.1995. Resigned 1.9.1998.
- Federal: elected to the House of Representatives for Shortland, New South Wales, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Committee service
- State: House Committee 1995-98; Regulation Review Committee 1995-98; Joint Committee on Health Care Complaints 1995-98.
- Federal: House of Representatives Standing: Family and Community Affairs from 8.12.98 to 8.10.01; Ageing from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Health and Ageing from 2.12.04 to 5.8.13; Health from 4.12.13; Employment and Workplace Relations from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04 and from 19.2.08 to 18.6.09; Employment, Workplace Relations and Workforce Participation from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07; Selection from 17.11.04 to 17.10.07 and from 30.9.10 to 9.5.16; House from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07, from 25.10.10 to 27.11.12 and from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16; Transport and Regional Services from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07; Publications from 19.2.08 to 19.7.10; Climate Change, Environment and the Arts from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13; Appropriations and Administration from 25.10.10 to 9.5.16; Procedure from 7.2.12 to 9.5.16; Petitions from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Joint Statutory: Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity from 27.3.07 to 17.10.07.
- Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 25.6.02 to 19.8.02; Treaties from 18.2.08 to 19.7.10; Public Works from 15.6.09 to 19.7.10 and from 14.3.12 to 5.8.13; Parliamentary Library from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16; National Disability Insurance Scheme from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Joint Select: Republic Referendum from 9.6.99 to 9.8.99; DisabilityCare Australia from 19.6.13 to 5.8.13.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Opposition Whip from 22.10.04 to 17.10.07 and from 14.10.13.
- Government Whip from 3.12.07 to 27.11.12.
- Chair, ALP Parliamentary Caucus 2001-04.
- Born 16.11.1949, Macksville, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA (Ncle).
- Rehabilitation counsellor.
- Member, Legislative Assembly (NSW) 1995-98 (see Parliamentary service above).
Location: southern Newcastle and Lake Macquarie region of New South Wales; it includes the centres of Belmont, Budgewoi, Catherine Hill Bay, Caves Beach, Chain Valley Bay, Charlestown, Dudley, Eleebana, Floraville, Gateshead, Gwandalan, Halekulani, Highfields, Jewells, Kahibah, Kotara South, Lake Haven, Lake Munmorah, Mannering Park, Nords Wharf, Redhead, San Remo, Summerland Point, Swansea, Tingira Heights, Valentine, Whitebridge, Windale and parts of Doyalson, Gorokan, Hillsborough and Warners Bay.
Area: 205 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 96 947 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: coal mining, tourism, fishing, power stations, building industry and poultry farming.
State electorates: Shortland includes the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorate of Swansea, and parts of Charlestown and Wyong.