- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Gellibrand, Victoria, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010. Retired prior to general elections 2013.
- Ministerial appointments
- Minister for Health and Ageing from 3.12.07 to 14.12.11.
- Minister for Emergency Management from 5.3.12 to 4.2.13.
- Attorney-General from 14.12.11 to 4.2.13.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Industry, Science and Resources from 8.12.98 to 8.10.01; Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 8.12.98 to 8.10.01 and from 2.12.04 to 6.2.07; Privileges and Members' Interests from 5.2.13 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 14.5.13 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Select: Republic Referendum from 9.6.99 to 9.8.99.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Official visits to France and Malaysia, October 2010; China, April 2011; USA, September 2011 and May 2012.
- Member. Parliamentary Delegation to Syria, Lebanon and Israel, November 2003.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 22.11.01 to 3.12.07. Shadow Minister for Children and Youth from 25.11.01 to 2.7.03; Shadow Minister Assisting the Leader of the Opposition on the Status of Women from 18.2.03 to 26.10.04; Shadow Minister for Population and Immigration from 2.7.03 to 8.12.03; Shadow Attorney-General from 8.12.03 to 10.12.06; Shadow Minister for Health from 10.12.06 to 3.12.07.
- Party positions
- FEA Delegate, ALP State Conference (Vic).
- Member, Public Office Selection Committee.
- Convener, National Labor Women's Network 1999-2004.
- Born 1.4.1967 at Sydney, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA, LLB (Hons) (Melb).
- Judge's Associate, the Hon. Justice Mary Gaudron, High Court of Australia 1992-94.
- Union organiser, National Union of Workers 1994-96.
- Industrial lawyer: Senior Associate, Maurice Blackburn and Co 1996-98.
Description: inner metropolitan.
Location: western Melbourne; it includes the suburbs of Altona, Altona Meadows, Altona North, Braybrook, Brooklyn, Footscray, Footscray West, Kingsville, Maidstone, Maribyrnong, Newport, Seabrook, Seaholme, South Kingsville, Spotswood, Tottenham, Williamstown, Williamstown North and Yarraville.
Area: 91 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 95 611 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: food processing, petrochemical and carbon products, marine engineering facilities, transport facilities, warehousing, tertiary education, tourism and retail industries.
State electorates: Gellibrand includes the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorate of Williamstown, and parts of Altona and Footscray.
- Potential and reality: women workers and the structural efficiency principle, Melbourne: Centre for Industrial Relations and Labour Studies, 1991.