- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Lowe, New South Wales, 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2007.
- Re-elected following 2009 electoral redistribution for Reid, New South Wales, 2010. Defeated at general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 20.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Trade from 3.12.07 to 25.2.09.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Communications, Transport and the Arts from 8.12.98 to 8.10.01; Communications, Information Technology and the Arts from 2.12.04 to 10.5.05; Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 1.9.99 to 3.8.04 and from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07; Climate Change, Water, Environment and the Arts from 16.3.09 to 19.7.10; Petitions from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Statutory: Broadcasting of Parliamentary Proceedings from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Standing: Treaties from 12.3.09 to 19.7.10; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 19.3.09 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Select: Broadcasting Legislation from 14.3.13 to 24.6.13.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Official visit to Indonesia and the Republic of Korea, July 2001.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to New Zealand, May 2004.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Japan and UK, June-July 2007.
- Official visits to Chile, Brazil, Argentina and Ghana, April 2008; Japan, May 2008.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Canada and Mexico, April-May 2009.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Vietnam, September 2010.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Mongolia, January 2011.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore, November 2011.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary to the Shadow Minister for Health and Ageing from 25.11.01 to 18.2.03; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Opposition from 18.2.03 to 3.12.07.
- Born 31.5.1950, Dunedoo, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Public servant, Commonwealth Dept of Veterans' Affairs 1970-91.
- NSW State Manager, Public Service and Merit Protection Commission 1992-98.
- Accredited Mediator, Lawyers Engaged in Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Description: inner metropolitan.
Location: inner west Sydney; it includes the suburbs of Abbotsford, Berala, Breakfast Point, Cabarita, Canada Bay, Chiswick, Concord, Concord West, Drummoyne, Five Dock, Homebush, Homebush West, Liberty Grove, Lidcombe, Mortlake, Newington, Rhodes, Rodd Point, Russell Lea, Silverwater, Sydney Olympic Park, Wareemba and Wentworth Point, and parts of Auburn, Berala, Burwood, Croydon and Strathfield.
Area: 66 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 95 873 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: Light industry, commercial retail including Sydney Markets, engineering works, wholesale and retail trades.
State electorates: Reid includes the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorate of Drummoyne, and parts of Auburn and Strathfield.