- Parliamentary service
- State: elected to the New South Wales Legislative Assembly for Clarence from 24.3.1984. Resigned 31.1.1996.
- Federal: elected to the House of Representatives for Page, New South Wales, 1996, 1998, 2001 and 2004. Retired prior to general elections 2007.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 12.11.98 to 8.10.01.
- Deputy Speaker from 11.2.02 to 17.10.07.
- Ministerial appointments
- State: Minister for Natural Resources (NSW) from March 1988 to July 1990 and from June 1991 to May 1993.
- Minister for Water Resources (NSW) from July 1990 to June 1991.
- Chief Secretary (NSW) from July 1990 to June 1991.
- Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries (NSW) from May 1993 to April 1995.
- Minister for Mines (NSW) from May 1993 to April 1995.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Library from 29.5.96 to 31.8.98; Financial Institutions and Public Administration from 29.5.96 to 31.8.98; Primary Industries, Resources and Rural and Regional Affairs from 29.5.96 to 31.8.98; Environment, Recreation and the Arts from 22.10.97 (Chair from 23.10.97) to 31.8.98; Environment and Heritage from 8.12.98 (Chair from 10.12.98) to 8.10.01; Selection from 18.2.02 (Chair from 19.2.02).
- House of Representatives Select: Recent Australian Bushfires from 27.3.03 to 5.11.03.
- Joint Statutory: Native Title and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land Fund from 18.6.96 to 11.2.02.
- Joint Standing: National Capital and External Territories from 11.2.03 to 31.8.04.
- Joint Select: Republic Referendum from 2.6.99 to 9.8.99.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to the 101st IPU Conference, Brussels, Belgium and bilateral visit to Norway, April 1999.
- Study tour, South America, July-August 2000.
- Leader, Parliamentary Delegation to Indonesia and Vietnam, September 2002.
- Attended 4th General Assembly of Asian Parliaments for Peace, the Philippines, September 2003.
- Leader, Parliamentary Delegation to Indonesia and Papua New Guinea, December 2003.
- Attended 17th Conference of Commonwealth Speakers and Presiding Officers, Canada, January 2004.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Ukraine and Bulgaria, June-July 2004.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Malta and Spain, April 2007.
- Official visit to New Zealand and the Cook Islands, July 2007.
- Parliamentary party positions
- State: Shadow Minister for Natural Resources (NSW) 1985-88.
- Party positions
- Member, National Party from 1965.
- Born 19.10.1940, Maclean, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Farmer and director.
- Member, NSW Legislative Assembly 1984-96 (see Parliamentary Service above).
- President, Clarence River Cane Growers' Association.
- Director, Iluka Bowling Club.
- Director, NSW Sugar Milling Cooperative.
- Member, NSW Cane Growers' Council.
Location: New South Wales north coast; it includes the centres of Ballina, Casino, Grafton, Evans Head, Iluka, Kyogle and Lismore.
Area: 16 682 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 85 019 (at 9.10.04).
Industries: dairy and beef cattle, pigs, maize, tropical fruit, sugar cane, fishing, prawning, oysters, butter and dairy factories, timber mills, several abattoirs and tourism.
State electorates: Page includes parts of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorates of Ballina, Clarence and Lismore.