- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Fisher, Queensland, 1984 for the National Party of Australia. Defeated at general elections 1987.
- Re-elected for the Liberal Party of Australia 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010.
- Independent from 24.11.2011. Defeated at general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Speaker of the House of Representatives from 24.11.11 to 9.10.12.
- Deputy Speaker from 28.9.10 to 24.11.11.
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 18.2.08 to 28.9.10.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Finance and Administration from 21.10.98 to 26.10.04.
- Acting Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister from 14.3.02 to 7.10.03.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Expenditure from 28.2.85 to 5.6.87; Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 12.5.93 to 29.1.96 and from 1.12.04 to 19.7.10 (Chairman from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07); Publications from 26.5.93 to 29.1.96; Family and Community Affairs from 29.5.96 to 27.11.97 (Chairman from 30.5.96 to 3.9.97); Selection Committee from 27.8.97 to 31.8.98; Privileges from 22.10.97 to 31.8.98; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 1.12.04 to 17.10.07; House from 24.11.11 (Chairman from 24.11.11) to 9.10.12.
- Joint Statutory: Native Title and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land Account from 1.12.04 to 23.3.06; Public Works from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Broadcasting of Parliamentary Proceedings from 24.11.11 to 9.10.12.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 18.6.96 to 31.8.98 and from 1.11.12 to 5.8.13; National Capital and External Territories from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Official Delegation to 15th AIPO General Assembly and bilateral visits, Singapore, Philippines and Indonesia, September-October 1994.
- Member, 98th IPU Conference, Cairo, and bilateral visit to Kuwait, September 1997.
- Member, 13th CPA Australian and Pacific Regional Seminar, Kiribati, July 1998.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to China and bilateral visit to Mongolia, April 2005.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Indonesia, June 2005.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to 26th AIPO General Assembly, Laos, and bilateral visit to Pakistan, September 2005.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Malaysia and Japan, April 2006.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Fiji, April-May 2006.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to the Philippines and Indonesia, September 2006.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Saudi Arabia and China, June-July 2007.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Egypt and Israel, October-November 2008.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Solomon Islands and Samoa, July-August 2011.
- Official visits to South Africa, Uganda, UK, Russian Federation, Kazakhstan, Hungary and USA, March-April 2012.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Government Whip from 11.7.97 to 18.10.98.
- Party positions
- Member, National Party of Australia (Qld) 1984-87; Member, Liberal Party 1989-2008; Member, Liberal National Party of Queensland 2008-11.
- Alternate Representative, Liberal Party State Executive (Qld) 1990-92.
- Vice-Chairman, Liberal Party Sunshine Coast Zone 1990-92.
- Membership Development Officer, Liberal Party Sunshine Coast Zone 1990-92.
- Branch Vice-Chairman, Liberal Party 1991-92.
- Delegate, Liberal Party and Liberal National Party State Conventions (Qld) 1990-2011.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA, LLB (Qld).
- Barrister and solicitor in various jurisdictions.
- Businessman and farmer.
- Chairman, West Moreton Regional Community Corrections Board (Parole Board).
Location: central and southern Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane; it includes the centres of Beerburrum, Beerwah, Caloundra, Kawana, Landsborough, Maleny, Minyama, Montville and Sippy Downs. It also includes Glass House Mountains.
Area: 1170 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 83 754 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: tourism, service industries, education, pineapple, orchard and flower crops, dairy and beef cattle farming, and horse racing.
State electorates: Fisher includes the Queensland Legislative Assembly electorates of Caloundra and Kawana, and parts of Glass House and Maroochydore.