- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Newcastle, New South Wales, 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010. Retired prior to general elections 2013.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 27.2.12 to 5.8.13.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Communications, Information Technology and the Arts from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Science and Innovation from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Economics, Finance and Public Administration from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07; House from 19.2.08 to 11.3.08; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Statutory: Public Accounts and Audit from 20.3.02 (Chair from 12.3.08) to 19.7.10; Corporations and Financial Services from 18.2.08 to 19.7.10; Australian Crime Commission from 25.10.10 to 25.11.10; Law Enforcement from 25.11.10 to 5.8.13.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 18.2.08 to 19.7.10; Treaties from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and Samoa, December 2002.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Switzerland and Singapore, October 2005.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Malaysia and Japan, April 2006.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to New Zealand, July 2007.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Singapore and Indonesia, October-November 2008.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to New Zealand, April 2009.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Timor-Leste, August 2009.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to New Zealand, November 2009.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Ireland and Italy, June-July 2010.
- Born 4.5.1951, Newcastle, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Teaching Certificate (Newcastle Teachers College).
- School principal.
- Director, Tinonee Gardens Multicultural Village.
- Community Director, Honeysuckle Development Corporation Board.
Location: northern and central Newcastle; it includes the suburbs of Adamstown, Birmingham Gardens, Broadmeadow, Carrington, Cooks Hill, Hamilton, Heatherbrae, Islington, Mayfield, Merewether, Newcastle, New Lambton, Sandgate, Shortland, Stockton, The Junction, Tighes Hill, Waratah, Wickham, Williamtown and parts of Adamstown Heights, Lambton, Jesmond, Kotara, Salt Ash, Thornton and Wallsend.
Area: 354 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 92 896 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: shipbuilding and repairs, transport equipment, tourism, tertiary education, food processing, railway goods, chemicals, heavy engineering, stevedoring and port facilities.
State electorates: Newcastle includes the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorate of Newcastle, and parts of Cessnock, Charlestown, Maitland, Port Stephens and Wallsend.