Selection of Bills Committee - Report No. 8 for 2012
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator Anne McEwen (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator Helen Kroger (Opposition Whip)
Senator John Williams (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Scott Ludlam (Acting Australian Greens Whip)
Senator the Hon Jacinta Collins
Senator Carol Brown
Senator David Bushby
Senator Mitch Fifield
Secretary: Maureen Weeks
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 8 OF 2012
- The committee met in private session on Wednesday, 27 June 2012 at 7.39 pm.
- The committee resolved to recommend-That-
- the provisions of the Customs Amendment (Smuggled Tobacco) Bill 2012 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 14 August 2012 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral); and
- the provisions of the Military Court of Australia Bill 2012 and the provisions of the Military Court of Australia (Transitional Provisions and Consequential Amendments) Bill 2012 be referred immediately to the Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Legislation Committee and the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 14 August 2012 (see appendices 2 and 3 for statements of reasons for referral).
- The committee considered a proposal to refer the Tax Laws Amendment (Managed Investment Trust Withholding Tax) Bill 2012 to the Economics Legislation Committee, but was unable to reach agreement on whether the bills should be referred (see appendix 4 for a statement of reasons for referral).
- The committee resolved to recommend-That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Commonwealth Government Securities Legislation Amendment (Retail Trading) Bill 2012
- Corporations Legislation Amendment (Financial Reporting Panel) Bill 2012
- Customs Amendment (Anti-dumping Improvements) Bill (No. 3) 2012
- Customs Tariff Amendment (2012 Measures No. 1) Bill 2012
- Electoral and Referendum Amendment (Improving Electoral Procedure) Bill 2012
- Health Insurance Amendment (Extended Medicare Safety Net) Bill 2012
- Maritime Legislation Amendment Bill 2012
- Statute Stocktake (Appropriations) Bill (No. 1) 2012
- Tax Laws Amendment (Investment Manager Regime) Bill 2012
- Transport Safety Investigation Amendment Bill 2012
- Veterans' Affairs Legislation Amendment Bill 2012.
The committee considered the Financial Framework Legislation Amendment Bill (No. 3) 2012 and, noting that the bill had passed the Senate on 27 June 2012, resolved to recommend that the bill not be referred to a committee.
The committee recommends accordingly.
- The committee deferred consideration of the following bills to its next meeting:
- Fisheries Legislation Amendment Bill (No. 1) 2012
- Protecting Children from Junk Food Advertising (Broadcasting and Telecommunications Amendment) Bill 2011
- Special Broadcasting Service Amendment (Natural Program Breaks and Disruptive Advertising) Bill 2012.
28 June 2012
Back to top