Selection of Bills Committee - Report No. 1 for 2012
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator Anne McEwen (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator Helen Kroger (Opposition Whip)
Senator John Williams (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Judith Adams
Senator the Hon. Mark Arbib
Senator Carol Brown
Senator Mitch Fifield
Secretary: Maureen Weeks
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 1 OF 2012
- The committee met in private session on Thursday, 9 February 2012 at 11.23 am.
- The committee resolved to recommend—That—
- the Members of Parliament (Life Gold Pass) and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2012 be referred immediately to the Finance and Public Administration Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 27 February 2012 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral);
- the Migration Amendment (Removal of Mandatory Minimum Penalties) Bill 2012 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 22 March 2012 (see appendix 2 for a statement of reasons for referral);
- the provisions of the Social Security and Other Legislation Amendment (Income Support and Other Measures) Bill 2012 be referred immediately to the Community Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 19 March 2012 (see appendix 3 for a statement of reasons for referral); and
- the Telecommunications Amendment (Mobile Phone Towers) Bill 2011 be referred immediately to the Environment and Communications Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 9 May 2012 (see appendix 4 for a statement of reasons for referral).
- The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation Amendment (International Broadcasting Services) Bill 2011
- Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Amendment (Monitoring of Whaling) Bill 2012
- National Health Amendment (Fifth Community Pharmacy Agreement Initiatives) Bill 2011
- Public Accounts and Audit Committee Amendment (Ombudsman) Bill 2011.
The committee recommends accordingly.
- The committee deferred consideration of the following bill to its next meeting:
- Protecting Children from Junk Food Advertising (Broadcasting and Telecommunications Amendment) Bill 2011.
9 February 2012
Back to top