Selection of Bills Committee - Report No. 5 for 2009
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator Kerry O’Brien (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator Stephen Parry (Opposition Whip)
Senator John Williams (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Steve Fielding (The Family First Party Whip)
Senator Judith Adams
Senator David Bushby
Senator the Hon. Joe Ludwig
Senator Anne McEwen
Secretary: Maureen Weeks
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 5 OF 2009
The committee met in private session on Thursday, 14 May 2009 at 11.34 am.
The committee resolved to recommend—That—
- the order of the Senate of 18 March 2009 adopting the committee’s 3rd report of 2009 be varied to provide that the AusCheck Amendment Bill 2009 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 16 June 2009 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral);
- the provisions of the Health Workforce Australia Bill 2009 be referred immediately to the Community Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 15 June 2009 (see appendix 2 for a statement of reasons for referral); and
the provisions of the Nation Building Program (National Land Transport) Amendment Bill 2009 be referred immediately to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 15 June 2009 (see appendix 3 for a statement of reasons for referral).
The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Car Dealership Financing Guarantee Appropriation Bill 2009
- Family Assistance and Other Legislation Amendment (Child Care and Other Measures) Bill 2009
- Food Safety (Trans Fats) Bill 2009
- Financial Assistance Legislation Amendment Bill 2009
- International Monetary Agreements Amendment Bill 2009
- Nation-building Funds Amendment Bill 2009
- National Health Amendment (Pharmaceutical and Other Benefits—Cost Recovery) Bill 2008 [No. 2]
- Rural Adjustment Amendment Bill 2009
- Safe Work Australia Bill 2008 [No. 2]
- Social Security and Family Assistance Legislation Amendment (2009 Budget Measures) Bill 2009
- Social Security Legislation Amendment (Digital Television Switch-over) Bill 2009
- Tax Laws Amendment (2009 Measures No. 3) Bill 2009.
The committee recommends accordingly.
The committee considered the Australian Climate Change Regulatory Authority Bill 2009 and nine related bills and noted that the Senate had agreed to refer the provisions of the bills to the Economics Legislation Committee for inquiry and report.
The committee deferred consideration of the following bills to its next meeting:
- Environment Protection (Beverage Container Deposit and Recovery Scheme) Bill 2009
- Fair Work Amendment (Paid Parental Leave) Bill 2009
- Parliamentary Superannuation Amendment (Removal of Excessive Super) Bill 2009.
14 May 2009
Back to top