Selection of Bills Committee - Report 4 for 2006
Members of the committee
Senator Jeannie Ferris (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator George Campbell (Opposition Whip)
Senator Andrew Bartlett (Australian Democrats Whip)
Senator Nigel Scullion (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Alan Eggleston
Senator the Hon Chris Ellison
Senator Joe Ludwig
Senator Ruth Webber
Secretary: Richard Pye
- The committee met in private session on Wednesday, 10 May 2006 at 4.16 pm.
- The committee resolved to recommend—That—
- the Transparent Advertising and Notification of Pregnancy Counselling Services Bill 2005 be referred immediately to the Community Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 17 August 2006 (see appendices 1 and 2 for a statements of reasons for referral) ;
- the provisions of the Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Security Amendment (Security Plans and Other Measures) Bill 2006 be referred immediately to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 15 June 2006 (see appendix 3 for a statement of reasons for referral) ;
- the provisions of the Australian Technical Colleges (Flexibility in Achieving Australia’s Skills Needs) Amendment Bill 2006 be referred immediately to the Employment, Workplace Relations and Education Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 6 June 2006 (see appendix 4 for a statement of reasons for referral) ;
- upon its introduction into the House of Representatives, the provisions of the Migration Amendment (Designated Unauthorised Arrivals) Bill 2006 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 13 June 2006 (see appendix 5 for a statement of reasons for referral) ; and
- the provisions of the Fuel Tax Bill 2006 and Fuel Tax (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2006 be referred immediately to the Economics Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 7 June 2006 (see appendices 6 and 7 for a statement of reasons for referral).
- The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- ASIO Legislation Amendment Bill 2006
- Aviation Transport Security Amendment Bill 2006
- Child Support Legislation Amendment (Reform of the Child Support Scheme—Initial Measures) Bill 2006
- Defence Housing Authority Amendment Bill 2006
- Employment and Workplace Relations Legislation Amendment (Welfare to Work and Other Measures) (Consequential Amendments) Bill 2006
- Protection of the Sea (Powers of Intervention) Amendment Bill 2006
- Social Security and Family Assistance Legislation Amendment (Miscellaneous Measures) Bill 2006
- Social Security and Veterans’ Entitlements Legislation Amendment (One-off Payments to Increase Assistance for Older Australians and Carers and Other Measures) Bill 2006
- Tax Laws Amendment (2006 Measures No. 2) Bill 2006.
The committee recommends accordingly.
- The committee deferred consideration of the following bills to the next meeting:
Bills deferred from meeting of 10 May 2006
- Australia-Japan foundation (Repeal and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2006
- Intellectual Property Laws Amendment Bill 2006
- Protecting Children from Junk Food Advertising Bill 2006.
11 May 2006
Attachments are available in the PDF version of this document, available here.
Back to top