On 9 May 2012, the Senate referred to the committee for
examination the estimates of proposed expenditure for the financial year 2012-13.
The committee is responsible for the examination of the Attorney-General's
Portfolio and the Immigration and Citizenship Portfolio. The portfolio budget
statements for 2012-13 were tabled on 9 February 2012.
Reference of documents
The Senate referred to the committee, for examination and
report, the following documents:
- Particulars of proposed expenditure in respect of the year ending
on 30 June 2013 [Appropriation Bill (No. 3) 2012-2013];
- Particulars of certain proposed expenditure in respect of the year
ending on 30 June 2013 [Appropriation Bill (No. 4) 2012-2013];
- Particulars of proposed supplementary expenditure in respect of the
year ending on 30 June 2012 [Appropriation Bill (No. 5) 2011-12]; and
- Particulars of certain proposed supplementary expenditure in
respect of the year ending on 30 June 2012 [Appropriation Bill (No. 6) 2011-12].
The committee was required to report on its consideration of
the budget estimates on or before 26 June 2012.
The committee met in public session on 21, 22, 23 and 24 May
Over the course of the four days of hearings, totalling over
40 hours, the committee took evidence from the following departments and
Immigration and Citizenship Portfolio
- Department of Immigration and Citizenship
- Migration Review Tribunal and Refugee Review Tribunal
- Attorney-General's Department
- Australian Crime Commission
- Australian Customs and Border Protection Service
- Australian Federal Police
- Australian Government Solicitor
- Australian Human Rights Commission
- Australian Law Reform Commission
Australian Security Intelligence Organisation
- Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre
- CrimTrac Agency
- Family Court of Australia
Federal Court of Australia
- Federal Magistrates Court of Australia
- Insolvency and Trustee Service Australia
- National Native Title Tribunal
- Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
- Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions
Copies of the transcripts of Hansard are available
from the committee's internet page at: www.aph.gov.au/senate_legalcon.
An index of the Hansard for each portfolio appears at
Ministers and Parliamentary Secretaries
On 21 and 22 May 2012, the committee heard evidence from
Senator the Hon Kate Lundy, the Minister for Multicultural Affairs, and Senator
the Hon Don Farrell, Parliamentary Secretary for Sustainability and Urban
Water, representing the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship.
On 23 and 24 May 2012, the committee heard evidence from
Senator the Hon Joseph Ludwig, Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
and Minister Assisting on Queensland Floods Recovery, and Senator the Hon
Jacinta Collins, Parliamentary Secretary for School Education and Workplace
Relations, representing the Attorney-General and the Minister for Home Affairs.
Officers from both departments and associated agencies also
appeared. The committee thanks the Ministers, Parliamentary Secretaries and
officers for their assistance.
Questions on notice
The committee determined that the due date for submitting
responses to questions on notice from the budget estimates round is 6 July 2012.
Further written explanations, and answers to questions on
notice, will be tabled as soon as possible after they are received. That
information is also available on the committee's internet page at the above
Navigation: Previous Page | Contents | Next Page
Back to top