House Standing Committee on Social Policy and Legal Affairs
Inquiry into the regulation of billboard and outdoor advertising
Terms of Reference
Having regard to:
- community concerns about large-scale public advertising
- trade practices and fair trading legislation in all jurisdictions that contain consumer protection provisions that prohibit false, misleading and deceptive advertising
- relevant industry codes including the Australian Association of National Advertisers’ Advertiser Code of Ethics, and
- the role of the Advertising Standards Bureau.
Refer to the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Social Policy and Legal Affairs for inquiry and report matters relating to the extent to which the current arrangements for the regulation of billboard advertising continues to be an effective method for managing this form of advertising in Australia in line with Australian community expectations.
In performing its functions in relation to this reference, the Committee will consider:
1. the existing self-regulatory scheme for advertising
2. whether the current arrangements, including the Industry Codes administered by the Advertising Standards Bureau, meet community concerns about billboard advertising
3. trade practices and fair trading legislation in all jurisdictions that contain consumer protection provisions that prohibit false, misleading and deceptive advertising
4. technical developments in billboard advertising, if any
5. the rate and nature of complaints about billboard advertising
6. any improvements that may be made to current arrangements
7. the desirability of minimising the regulatory burden on business, and
8. any other related matter.
Definition Note: The Committee considers that the primary objective of the inquiry is to examine the adequacy of the current regulatory arrangements in relation to advertising which can be viewed from public spaces, and therefore where the audience
is not able to exercise an individual choice with regard to what they see. Accordingly, in line with the final term of reference, to consider 'any other related matter', the Committee has resolved to include
within its consideration all types of advertising which can be viewed from public spaces.
Back to top