(1) That a joint select committee, to be known as the Joint Select Committee on the Republic Referendum, be appointed to inquire into and report on the provisions of bills introduced by the Government to give effect to a referendum on a republic.
(2) That the committee consist of 18 members, 6 members of the House of Representatives to be nominated by the Government Whip or Whips, 6 members of the House of Representatives to be nominated by the Opposition Whip or Whips, 3 senators to be nominated by the Leader of the Government in the Senate, 2 senators to be nominated by the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate and 1 senator to be nominated by the Leader of the Australian Democrats.
(3) That every nomination of a member be forthwith notified in writing to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
(4) That the members of the committee hold office as a joint select committee until presentation of the committee's report.
(5) That the committee report no later than 9 August 1999.
(6) That the committee elect a Government member as its chair.
(7) That the committee elect a non-Government member as its deputy chair to act as chair of the committee at any time when the chair is not present at a meeting of the committee.
(8) That at any time when the chair and deputy chair are not present at a meeting of the committee, the members present shall elect another member to act as chair at that meeting.
(9) That the chair, or the deputy chair when acting as chair, shall have a deliberative vote and, in the event of an equality of voting, a casting vote.
(10) That 3 members of the committee constitute a quorum of the committee, provided that in a deliberative meeting the quorum shall include 1 member of either House of the Government parties and 1 member of either House of the non-Government parties.
(11) That the committee have power to appoint subcommittees, consisting of 3 or more of its members, and to refer to any subcommittee any matter which the committee is empowered to examine.
(12) That, in addition to the members appointed pursuant to paragraph 11, the chair and deputy chair of the committee be ex officio members of each subcommittee appointed.
(13) That the committee appoint the chair of each subcommittee who shall have a deliberative vote but no casting vote, and at any time when the chair of a subcommittee is not present at a meeting of the subcommittee, the members of the subcommittee present shall elect another member of that subcommittee to act as chair at that meeting.
(14) That the quorum of a subcommittee be 2 members of that subcommittee provided that in a deliberative meeting the quorum shall include 1 member of either House of the Government parties and 1 member of either House of the non-Government parties.
(15) That members of the committee who are not members of a subcommittee may participate in the proceedings of that subcommittee but shall not vote, move any motion or be counted for the purpose of a quorum.
(16) That the committee or any subcommittee have power to send for persons, papers and records.
(17) That the committee or subcommittee have power to move from place to place.
(18) That a subcommittee have power to adjourn from time to time and to sit during any adjournment of the Senate and the House of Representatives.