Joint Standing Committee on Treaties
Terms of Reference
The Treaties Committee shall inquire into and report on whether ratification
of the Kyoto Protocol on climate change is in Australia's national interest.
The Committee will examine:
- The implications for Australia of proceeding or not proceeding to
ratify the Kyoto Protocol and meeting its target emissions levels by
2008 with regard to anticipated and/or predicted economic, environmental
and social outcomes both nationally and in specific regional areas.
- The veracity of conflicting current scientific theories on global
warming and any solutions proposed for it.
- What definitions and criteria Australia should develop and actively
pursue in its national interest with regard to:
- - grandfathering,
- - trading credits,
- - carbon credits,
- - sequestration,
- - revegetation,
- - land management, and
- - definitions (eg "forest").
- The economic, environmental and social implications of a punitive
approach to any domestic regulation of industry including such proposals
as a carbon tax and an incentive-based approach.
Back to top