House Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Innovation
Inquiry into long-term meteorological forecasting in Australia
Terms of Reference
The House of Representatives Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Innovation shall inquire into and report on long-term meteorological forecasting in Australia.
The Committee will inquire into and report on long-term meteorological forecasting with particular reference to:
- The efficacy of current climate modelling methods and techniques and long-term meteorological prediction systems;
- Innovation in long-term meteorological forecasting methods and technology;
- The impact of accurate measurement of inter-seasonal climate variability on decision-making processes for agricultural production and other sectors such as tourism;
- Potential benefits and applications for emergency response to natural disasters, such as bushfire, flood, cyclone, hail, and tsunami, in Australia and in neighbouring countries; and
- Strategies, systems and research overseas that could contribute to Australia’s innovation in this area.
Back to top