House of Representatives Committees
House Standing Committee on Family, Community, Housing and Youth
Inquiry into homelessness legislation
Terms of Reference
"The House of Representatives Standing Committee on Family, Community, Housing and Youth
shall inquire into and report on the content of homelessness legislation.
The Committee will make inquiries into the principles and service standards that could be
incorporated in such legislation, building on the strengths of existing legislation, particularly
the Supported Accommodation Assistance Act 1994.
The Committee shall give particular consideration to:
1. The principles that should underpin the provision of services to Australians
who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
2. The scope of any legislation with respect to related government initiatives in
the areas of social inclusion and rights.
3. The role of legislation in improving the quality of services for people who are
homeless or at risk of homelessness.
4. The effectiveness of existing legislation and regulations governing
homelessness services in Australia and overseas.
5. The applicability of existing legislative and regulatory models used in other
community service systems, such as disability services, aged care and child
care, to the homelessness sector."
Back to top