House of Representatives Committees
House Standing Committee on ...
Roundtable Discussion on Indigenous birthing issues
On 30 May 2013, the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs Committee hosted a roundtable discussion on Indigenous birthing issues.
The Committee was interested in the challenges faced by Indigenous women who must travel from remote communities to regional centres to give birth, and the current services, or lack thereof, available to support them.
The ATSIA Committee hopes the roundtable discussion will shed light on current birthing experiences of Indigenous women across Australia, so that the Parliament can respond appropriately.
- Anne Maree Maher, President, Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses (CATSIN)
- Karen Atkinson – Indigenous midwife, and CATSIN member
- Rachel Sargeant - Maternal and Child Health Team Leader, Apunipima Cape York Health Council
- Danielle Weise – Community Midwife, Kowanyama
- Millie Hills – Project Manager, Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services Council
- Meleseini Tai-Roche - Population Health Maternal and Child Health Coordinator, Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services Council
Transcript of proceedings
Media Release - 11 July 2013
Back to top